Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Bow

Target Bow

I am in the market for a bow for target archery, 3d, indoor, etc. I have a PSE Masterflite 70lb that is a bit of a brute to shoot so I am looking for some recommendations on specs and accessories for a good target bow that is easy to shoot for extended periods of time. Any info is greatly appreciated.
    I can speak Canadian in English.

Proud to be a Salmon Farmer.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Target Bow

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06 Hunter View Post
    I am in the market for a bow for target archery, 3d, indoor, etc. I have a PSE Masterflite 70lb that is a bit of a brute to shoot so I am looking for some recommendations on specs and accessories for a good target bow that is easy to shoot for extended periods of time. Any info is greatly appreciated.
    are you looking to hunt with it or just target duty

Target duty bows
    Hoyt Elite or Pro series bows
    Bowtech Sentinal or brigadier
    Mathews Apex 7
    PSE MoneyMaker
    Martin Scpter 4s

the list goes on and on

for a double duty bow I would look at something maybe a bit faster than these and perhaps a bit shorter in the A2A dept
    Hoyt Alpha max series
    bowtech gardian or commander
    Mathews drenalin
    PSE x force series
    once again the list goes on and on

the question you have to ask yourself is ... "Does this bow feel Good in my hands"
    try as many as you can ... any reputable shop will let you test drive a particular brand
    Last edited by Bowzone_Mikey; 10-07-2009 at 11:51 PM.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

i shoot a 2008 pse x force 6 it is a great bow i have one for hunting one or 3d....i chose the 70lb bow but im a bigger guy. it still is a bit of a grunt to shoot for 3 day shoots, but it is asmooth bow and fun to shoot very fast.

great for me anyways.

Bow Walker Guest

I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix XL set at 60lbs. My sight is a combo of Sure-Loc 500 Supreme sight frame/bar with a Classic scope and a Zeiss 4X magnifier. It's got a 28" carbon fiber stabilizer with 6" adjustable-weight side bars. My arrow of choice is the Easton Fatboy 500's cut down to 26.25" and fletched with 1.5" Blazer vanes. The points are Easton Fatboy 100 grain points, cut down to 65 grains each.

This system is customized by me for me, but the bow is one that is comfortable and can be shot all day or all night long. But you gotta try it to be sure you like it.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. This will give me a god starting point. This bow I am thinking would be pretty much exclusive for target.
    What are the main differences between bows marketed as target and those as hunting bows?

typically target bows are a bit longer in the axel to axel measurement, little bit larger brace height 7.5 inches or better and are typically slower on the IBO speed ratings ...but the most obvious differance is the paint job
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

What he said....is true.

Seems they are a tad more expensive as well. Thanks for the info.

I am partial to the Fred Bear bows so I'm gonna point out their new dark horse option for some of their existing bows... Very affordable bows. I am also partial to Martin bows, I have a nice old Martin Lynx XR in Target candy apple red. Pretty much all newer bows are going to be more acurate than anyone that shoots them, even hunting bows. It all comes down to how the bow feels in your hand though and has nothing to do with price. If you find a bow that feels really good but is from a less known manufacturer or a "cheaper" bow, don't let anyone, especially a salesman try to tell you it isn't as good. If the shot feels good to you then it probably is good for you. Shoot as many as you can and don't worry about where the arrow hits... tuning comes later and is half the fun.

take a look at the new carbon matrix from hoyt...... sweet peice of machinery right there.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club