Thread: (Spruce) Grouse Jerky Round #2

(Spruce) Grouse Jerky Round #2

After being skunked trying to find a grouse jerky recipe on the net, I've decided to post one that I believe will work well.

After a moderately successful foray into grouse jerky a couple of weeks back, I defrosted some birds I've been saving up over the last week and went full out with five birds. The first batch was pretty good, evidenced by a couple of our fine members. I had just used a basic jerky/smoker recipe, bunch of soy sauce, sugar, hot sauce, pepper. Pretty basic.

After stripping the birds down to jerky sized bits (use a SHARP knife!!), I sprinked High Mountain Cracked Pepper and Garlic jerky seasoning on both sides, which brought us to here. The easiest way to do this is to remove the tenderloins first, then slice the breast into half width-wise (as they're a little thick without doing so), then cut into manageable sizes.

Now, sticking with what I know about jerky, I just kept adding stuff until the marinade tasted about right (whatever that means in my fermented brain). The base is the soy sauce, with lots of sugar, a liberal dosing of chipotle, plenty of garlic puree, some good dashes of worchestershire, and whatever spices happened to be handy (paprika, cayenne, mustard, whatever).

Soak overnight until I get back from moose hunting tomorrow, at which point I'll run em into the dehydrator and post the results after about four hours dehydrating.

km
    Last edited by PGK; 01-16-2010 at 08:33 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: (Spruce) Grouse Jerky Round #2

Shoudl be fine, but if you want arecipe, use a turkey jerky recipe
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Man, does this ever smell good Dehydrator is stuffed, t-minus 3hrs.
    Last edited by PGK; 01-16-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Spruce grouse is as tough as an old boot. You don't want to eat that stuff. Send it to me, I'll take care of it for you
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Hows it taste?. what about smoking it after brining? Ever tryed it?.I would think that would be like a dehydrater with flavour.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

I haven't tried smoking it, but the 'brine' is pretty heavy duty stuff, smking it might be overkill.

It tastes friggin awesome. Anyone that thinks spruce grouse taste bad has their head screwed on funny!!

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    Anyone that thinks spruce grouse taste bad has their head screwed on funny!!
    Heard it tastes just like coyote.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Heard it tastes just like coyote.
    Well, now we know where FD's mutt went.

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    Well, now we know where FD's mutt went.
    That dog won't listen or stand around long enough - it's really that useless.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela