Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Antlerless shotgun shot only area, shot recommendation?

Re: Antlerless shotgun shot only area, shot recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by 22savage View Post
    DO NOT SHOOT THE DOE IN THE HEAD. There is a reason these are shot gun with shot only area`s , the proximity to houses ,walking trails and residential area`s. MAKE A CLEAN KILL .We do not need to have wounded animals running around in these area`s as it just gives us hunters a bad name and we will eventually lose the privilege of having these area`s to hunt.

Oh so your saying Shoot them in the boiler room? It will kill them better than a head shot?. get real!.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

d6dan if you shoot them in the boiler room within 40 yards you will kill them.If you shoot them in the head @ 10 yards you will not kill, but wound the animal.I don't know how how else to say this?I have with a shotgun & buck shot,put down four animals.
    My first was a bush pig sow that charged me, she took seven shots of ssg,to the head & neck area before I got a shot in the boiler room which put her down. After skinning her out I found that all the pellets shot to the head stuck against the scull no penetration.All shots were within 25 yards I was 18 years old & will never forget the screaming .
    5 years ago on on a trip back to africa I was tracking an Impala that had been wounded by another hunter.As it was already dark I grabbed my 12g side by side loaded with ssg.I found the buck haunched down facing away from me.I managed to quietly stalk within 10 feet of him. The only possible shot I had was A head shot, so I took it bam!
    The buck jumped up turned around & leaped right over me giving me another shot @ +-3 feet at the vitals which put him down for good. After skinning the buck we found 8 pellets up against the scull not one had penetrated @ 10 feet. The hunter that wounded the buck was shooting a 270,he had taken a neck shot but missed all bone.
    So for the third & hopefully last time
    DO NOT TAKE HEAD OR NECK SHOTS with buck shot I hope this is real enough for you.

oo works well, and a neck shot will be just fine at the right distance. i have shot a few bucks with oo buck right behind the ear upper neck under 45 yards and they were done before they hit the ground. good luck

we have the same opening all down the island. 000buck works good for me in 3 inch 12gu and oddly enough 00buck seems to work well for my hunting bud. We have taken about twenty deer this way. EVERY ONE A HEAD SHOT. Every one within 20 to 45 yards. We only had 1 runner that I tried a heart shot on. we found it, but we found a few with hide and gut full of pellets as well. BE CLOSE AND PUT THE BEAD BETWEEN THE EARS AND THE TOP OF THE SKULL. they fall down dead
    Some of us are born into greatness, some have it thrust upon them.......I've had to scratch and claw to achieve mediocraty

Citizens own firearms, subjects don't

Gotta agree with taking the neck shot here. My family and I have taken many animals in the buckshot zone. If the animal is completely broadside will take the body shot but have had more success aiming for the head neck junction. More so with deer than bears. The main reason is that a neck shot will drop the animal in its tracks. Buckshot does not seem to leave a good wound channel which means poor blood trails which means lost animals in the very heavy cover of the south Island.

Quote Originally Posted by 000buck View Post
    we have the same opening all down the island. 000buck works good for me in 3 inch 12gu and oddly enough 00buck seems to work well for my hunting bud. We have taken about twenty deer this way. EVERY ONE A HEAD SHOT. Every one within 20 to 45 yards. We only had 1 runner that I tried a heart shot on. we found it, but we found a few with hide and gut full of pellets as well. BE CLOSE AND PUT THE BEAD BETWEEN THE EARS AND THE TOP OF THE SKULL. they fall down dead
    I gota agree, shoot for the head! We must have taken over 40 deer since the inception of the shot only area about 12 years ago..

Hence the names.. 000Buck & 00Buck
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Whats the velocity of buckshot ? From 2 3/4 or 3 1/2" ?
    What would the pellet count be in a pie plate size at 30 yards with 00 and 000 ?
    Thanks for input.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    What would the pellet count be in a pie plate size at 30 yards with 00 and 000 ?
    Thanks for input.
    I guess it would depend on the choke tube in your shotgun?.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Whats the velocity of buckshot ? From 2 3/4 or 3 1/2" ?
    Thanks for input.
    Speculating on ballistics figures of .357 caliber rounds, most with a muzzle velocity of ~1200fps have ~1100fps at 50yd. Accounting that these are non-expanding projectiles, penetration should be sufficient to go through ribs, though perhaps not shoulder blades.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

bandit is offline Passionate pointer parent

[quote=Spy;534281].
    My first was a bush pig sow that charged me, she took seven shots of ssg,to the head & neck area before I got a shot in the boiler room which put her down. After skinning her out I found that all the pellets shot to the head stuck against the scull no penetration.All shots were within 25 yards I was 18 years old & will never forget the screaming .
    quote]

I found head shots on bushpig with buck shot to be quite successful... although most of them have been inside 2 yards!