Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Antlerless shotgun shot only area, shot recommendation?

Antlerless shotgun shot only area, shot recommendation?

I plan on hunting Antlerless in shot only area , one of my friends recommended using 00 or 000 buckshot, another one said to pick up SSG's. wondering if anyone could recommend what they would use?

Cheers
    Daniel

2. Site Sponsor

Smile Re: Antlerless shotgun shot only area, shot recommendation?

3.1/2 000 or 00 heart lung shot inside of 40 yards

Re: Antlerless shotgun shot only area, shot recommendation?

Don't try & make any shot, but a heart & lung shot with buck shot. The pellets do not penetrate bone.

My Dad just dropped a nice 4pt muley using 00 buckshot out of his 12 gauge. Deer fell over dead and never even twitched.

First deer he's ever taken with a shotgun. He was quite impressed.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Daniel,

Is that an LEH draw if not where you can shoot does with a shotgun the reason I ask is I have always wanted to try that myself but cant locate where , when ect off the regs.

Dont worry I wont crash any party here as my hunting week ends are all booked up now but more for maybe next year give it a try.

There are special antlerless seasons in region 1 (east side of Van. Isle) in the shotgun w/ shot only zones. You have to look at the small maps in the synopsis for the areas.

no its not an LEH, its an area in 1-6 between the new and old highway,from Campbell River to Courtenay. I was gonna try to go for a neck shot.

I use my blackpowder shotgun in those areas. I load 9 .36 caliber balls in front of 80 grains of 2F blackpowder in both barrels.
    9 .36 balls is the same as OO buck. Which is what I would use for a modern gun.

Remember to limit your shot range and pattern your gun before you actually go after a deer.
    JB flang is my hero.

Moose guide infamous quote.
    "when you shoot em just right their feathers go puff"

Quote Originally Posted by mucktuckfoo View Post
    no its not an LEH, its an area in 1-6 between the new and old highway,from Campbell River to Courtenay. I was gonna try to go for a neck shot.
    DO NOT do a neck shot, you need to go for the lungs. You pretty much have to take a broadside shot into the ribcage to take out the lungs.

The effective range is very limited with buckshot, I would limit things to 30 or 40 yards in most situations and maybe squeak 50 yards in there in an absolutely picture-perfect text book scenario (clear day, no obstructions, deer standing still, broadside shot - but it's still a very risky shot).

Don't be hero and think you can do better, it's not fair to the animal. Buckshot is very deadly, but only at very close range.

Be sure to pattern your gun before you go out.

NH3

.36 calibre is 000, .33 I believe is 00. I am a huge fan of 3" 000 shells. 10 * 36 calibre pellets seem like the right comprimise. Just remember that each one is only about as powerful as a 9mm or 38 special and it might take a few through vital areas.