Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Antlerless shotgun shot only area, shot recommendation?

Re: Antlerless shotgun shot only area, shot recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    So heres an off-shoot to the topic, what chokes are you guys using with buck shot. I have been looking at the socalled "deer" guns from the diffrent manufactuers barrels from 18.5 -22" all come with a IC choke. I have always shot buck with a full/Xtra Full choke and had great results. Thoughts???
    I used the modified choke that comes with my BPS Browning, but have changed it to a "Carlson Coyote Choke". I patterned it out to 50yds with 000 copper plated buck shot. Good pattern out to 18".The only down side is no steel shot or Slugs through this choke. Great pattern for bird shot and they recommend this choke for turkeys.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

I believe sg was 0 buck
    and ssg was 00 buck

Quote Originally Posted by 250 sav View Post
    I believe sg was 0 buck
    and ssg was 00 buck
    SSG is #1 Buck- .30 cal.- 11 pellets to the oz.
    SG is #0 Buck- .32 cal.- 9 pellets to the oz.
    #00 Buck- .34 cal.- 8 pellets to the oz.
    LG is #000 Buck- .36 cal.- 6 pellets to the oz.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    SSG is #1 Buck- .30 cal.- 11 pellets to the oz.
    SG is #0 Buck- .32 cal.- 9 pellets to the oz.
    #00 Buck- .34 cal.- 8 pellets to the oz.
    LG is #000 Buck- .36 cal.- 6 pellets to the oz.

This is is a great older thread. I saw a YouTube video which seemed to clearly show that patterning (at least with that particular gun) was much better with 2 3/4" than 3". 2 3/4" is faster as its typically the same powder load (I think). I'm buying a new gun this weekend (2 3/4"-3.5") and plan to do some patterning. Curious about what others think.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I use hornady critical defense 2 3/4 00 Buck and it's incredible, out of my gun at least. It shoots a 4" pattern at 25 yards out of a 14" police barrel 870. I've carried it around in the shotgun only zone many a time but never ran into a deer within 30 or 40 yards.

Funny this thread has been resurrected twice already. Must be a timely subject for the South Island every now and then. I use the 00 2-3/4 federal fusion with the flite control wad with an 18" barrel. Fist sized groups @ 30 yards. Neck shots shatter the spine and drop them on the spot.

On a side note, it would be really cool if I could cut my barrel down to 14"! Its so weird that you can freely hunt with it as a factory barrel but if I cut mine down any further then I am heading to a federal institution.

I've currently got an 18" 870 full bore, but didn't realize it would be alright to hunt with. I thought I should get a 28" with chokes for distance and accuracy. I might have to reconsider.

As I understand it, in a shotgun barrel length makes no real difference in terms of velocity (not like a rifle). If you are hunting buckshot then your 18" will be fine. I am also using a cylinder bore, the Flite Control wad is designed for no chokes and holds a tight pattern (in my shotgun anyways). I would pattern a box or two of those before buying a new shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    As I understand it, in a shotgun barrel length makes no real difference in terms of velocity (not like a rifle). If you are hunting buckshot then your 18" will be fine. I am also using a cylinder bore, the Flite Control wad is designed for no chokes and holds a tight pattern (in my shotgun anyways). I would pattern a box or two of those before buying a new shotgun.
    Lol, I couldn't resist. I really need to avoid Cabelas/Wholesale. I can't not spend money when I'm in there. Decided on a Winchester sxp waterfowl. Comes with mod, improved, sling and soft case. On sale for $489, $469 with my incentive coupon. The guy at wholesale was really liking the Score brand 00. I'm going to try it, but I'm thinking I'll likely end up going with flight control or buffered.

Has anyone here ever tried 3.5" 00 buck?