Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saskatchewan Non-Resident Hunting

Hybrid View

Talking Saskatchewan Non-Resident Hunting

So it is looking like this year is the year to head out to Saskatchewan for the non-resident hunt. Dates are November 25-Nov. 30. I'm not to sure where to start, after looking over areas on google earth it's hard to determan where to start looking for hunting areas that would be worthy. I'm not looking for any secret spots but it would help if anyone had any ideas of places to stay, towns, hotels, motels etc. As i understand hunting in Sask. is a heck of a lot different than BC. We're use to stand, blind, hunting for whitetails, out there it seam like there's a lot of driving around, spot and stalks, and long shots. Any info is better than the none i have as of now. PM me if anybody has any experience hunting whitetails in Saskatchewan. Thanks again guys and gals and keep shoot'n straight.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Saskatchewan Non-Resident Hunting

I went last year,but I do have some family there and they were able to show me the ropes.
    What you have to understand,is that you are essentially hunting on private land.
    There are many farmers that would welcome you and be thrilled if you harvested the deer on their land,but others feel differently.
    Plan on knocking on doors,as even my cousins husband would do,if he was unsure.
    Great time though,and both my friend and I,as well as my cousins husband and his brother harvested deer.

Quote Originally Posted by blaker_99 View Post
    So it is looking like this year is the year to head out to Saskatchewan for the non-resident hunt. Dates are November 25-Nov. 30. I'm not to sure where to start, after looking over areas on google earth it's hard to determan where to start looking for hunting areas that would be worthy. I'm not looking for any secret spots but it would help if anyone had any ideas of places to stay, towns, hotels, motels etc. As i understand hunting in Sask. is a heck of a lot different than BC. We're use to stand, blind, hunting for whitetails, out there it seam like there's a lot of driving around, spot and stalks, and long shots. Any info is better than the none i have as of now. PM me if anybody has any experience hunting whitetails in Saskatchewan. Thanks again guys and gals and keep shoot'n straight.
    And if you're hunting in the south it's nearly all private property so that's the first obstacle to overcome. In my experience we had no luck just driving around, deer are just too spooky. We doped out bedding and feeding areas and set up ground blinds or tree stands in between. If you have a muzzle loader get into that band of bushy country from Saskatoon running north-west towards the Park PFRA government pasture and you should see lots of deer but it's a special weapons area, bows, shotguns, muzzle loaders.
    If you're in the north the same strategy will work well. Driving around glassing in the early morning can identify feeding areas and then just watch to see where they go to bed down watching closely for potential ambush spots.

Thanks a ton guys your help is greatly appreciated. Would there be any towns to stay in that anyone would reccomend? If you feel more comfortable messaging me personally I have no problem with that. I have heard Turtleford is not a bad area to start? we are just trying to book accomadation before it gets to late. thanks again

you hunting non-resident or canadian resident? May or may not make a difference in the zones you can hunt. canadian resident tags are cheaper too, if i remember correctly.
    I hunted north of Prince Albert last year- a bit further than where you're thinking-but it was the same kind of thing. You'll probably be on private land so you'll need to go and introduce yourself to a farm and get permission. People out there are way more accepting of hunting out there than in BC, so you should have no problem getting permission.
    Grain fed deer = big and yummy!
    don't forget your whites or oranges!

oh yeah-used a good taxidermist in Birch Hills if you go that far. Try to find a farm that's near a river if you can. made a diiference for me. good luck!
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by cainer View Post
    . People out there are way more accepting of hunting out there than in BC, so you should have no problem getting permission.
    x2,not to mention very friendly people.Corner gas!

awsome thanks guys some good information from everyone. I guess it's time to start looking over some maps and google earth for areas to stay and hunt. I have freinds in Stalwart Sask. who say there are a lot of whitetails arounf there and pronghorn ( not open) but im not sure what calibur and how many bucks etc are in that general area. it is not far from Saskatoon so im not entirely sure. Any thoughts from anyone??

I've hunted southern Sask for the past 5 years for water fowl and upland birds and had it not been for a minor surgery I would have gone the dates you are for a combo hunt; deer and birds.
    I can heartily recommend the Flying Goose Inn in LaFleche having stayed there myself over the past years.
    Larry and Ev, the owners, are superb people and have contacts with the local farming community. Access is not usually a problem.
    LOTS OF TROPHY SIZE WHITETAILS!!!!
    I see several on any given 7 day stay there. All kinds of antlerless and numerous "normal" bucks!
    Take a shotgun and try for some bird shooting. The reservoir is open for shooting as of Nov. 9 if memory serves right, and the water-fowling should be superb!
    If you go say Hi to Larry and Ev for me. PM me for more detail here.
    Only one favor to ask.
    Let me know if you go there and how you made out.
    Contact them @3064725288
    Please PM me before you go for details.

Good luck!

Longshotz
    Last edited by longshotz; 10-16-2009 at 08:35 AM.

I'm not sure but arn't non-residents only allowed to hunt the northern zones.

Quote Originally Posted by knighthunter View Post
    I'm not sure but arn't non-residents only allowed to hunt the northern zones.

Canadian non-residents can hunt north of hwy 1(IIRC?) . Aliens are delegated to the northern parts UNLESS they are guided on FN land.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....