Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pellet gun for hunting Grouse?

Re: Pellet gun for hunting Grouse?

damn i was really close to the computer. like really close

My son, uses my old .177 Beeman rifle. He keeps us well fed on our weekend excursions. Works great, just aim for the head!!
    " I think I see a light ahead..."

I have one of those RWS magnum 52's that shoots a .22 calibre pellet and I have to say that the grouse fly off with the pellet as often as not. If they are hit in the breast there isn't enough impact to knock them over or really stun them.

A head shot is always mortal and a wing shot will cripple them till you can wring their neck. I keep mine on the quad as it is quieter than a 22 rimfire.

As far as hunting with a pellet gun. I had to register it so as far as I'm concerned that makes it legal to hunt with. It was also a real hassle importing it too as I didn't realize that it exceeded the fps' requiring it to be licensed.

Kids like shooting them as well.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Page 16 has "Legal Hunting Methods " listed by species. No mention is made of pellet guns. The definitions include pellet guns and handguns and aBB guns as "Firearms" but that does not make it legal to use any of them.
    I would be careful on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Page 16 has "Legal Hunting Methods " listed by species. No mention is made of pellet guns. The definitions include pellet guns and handguns and aBB guns as "Firearms" but that does not make it legal to use any of them.
    I would be careful on this one.
    It also doesn't list rocks, spears, sticks, but they are all legal to hunt with.

If pellet guns are ILLEGAL to hunt with, there would be an actual law written down prohibiting it.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Can anyone confirm this, I have a wicked Webley Tempest .22 cal pellet pistol that would be awesome to carry for grouse.
    I have the Hurricane and would love to use it, but stupid people make stupid rules!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I have the Hurricane and would love to use it, but stupid people make stupid rules!
    No kidding, I'd love to pack that in the boosh, silent shooting for the grouse while deer hunting.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Here's my email from the C.O., I've cut and pasted it - his response is in the first line.[/font]

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Use a pellet or a single shot rifle is fine for grouse in BC. Hope this helps[/font]

[FONT='Century','serif']Kevin Van Damme[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Conservation Officer[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Clearwater, B.C.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Office: 250-587-6679[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Cel: 250-318-5992[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Fax: 250-587-6559[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']e-mail: Kevin.Vandamme@ gov.bc.ca[/font]

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']From:[/font][FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif'] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [/font]
    [FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:55 PM[/font]
    [FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']To: VanDamme, Kevin ENV:EX[/font]
    [FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']Subject: Legal Grouse Hunting Methods[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Good Morning Sir[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I was hoping you could clear something up for me. I've been trying to figure out if using a slingshot or pellet rifle (.177 cal) are legal hunting methods for grouse here in B.C. It doesn't state in the synopsis that these are legal methods, but it doesn't mention them being illegal either. It'd be much easier, and cheaper, than shooting them with the bow. [/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Any help is appreciated.[/font]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Thanks[/font]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/font]

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Here's my email from the C.O., I've cut and pasted it - his response is in the first line.[/font]

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Use a pellet or a single shot rifle is fine for grouse in BC. Hope this helps[/font]

[FONT='Century','serif']Kevin Van Damme[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Conservation Officer[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Clearwater, B.C.[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Office: 250-587-6679[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Cel: 250-318-5992[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Fax: 250-587-6559[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']e-mail: Kevin.Vandamme@ gov.bc.ca[/font]

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']From:[/font][FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif'] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [/font]
    [FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:55 PM[/font]
    [FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']To: VanDamme, Kevin ENV:EX[/font]
    [FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']Subject: Legal Grouse Hunting Methods[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Good Morning Sir[/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I was hoping you could clear something up for me. I've been trying to figure out if using a slingshot or pellet rifle (.177 cal) are legal hunting methods for grouse here in B.C. It doesn't state in the synopsis that these are legal methods, but it doesn't mention them being illegal either. It'd be much easier, and cheaper, than shooting them with the bow. [/font]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Any help is appreciated.[/font]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Thanks[/font]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/font]

Right beside the "Submit Reply" button, there's a "Preview Post" button.

Just throwin' that out there......

Mijankel,

If I was you, I would seriously wonder what a judge might think if you showed up in court waving DBM's scrambled email and claiming " I have it on good authority".

I admit that it is unlikely for a CO to concern himself with people shooting grouse with pellet guns given all the thieving carnage going on in BC right now.

But I still think that the section of the regs entitled "Legal Hunting Methods" is where you should start your search regarding pellet guns. Rimfire is allowed, centrefire is allowed, shotguns are allowed. No mention of pellet guns, spears, rocks, vehicles, slingshots etc.