Thread: Elk Hunt- 4 pt down.

Elk Hunt- 4 pt down.

So, I got off work on a Sat evening, and started rounding up some stuff to get ready for Elk Hunting. 2 weeks of and ready to go. My hunting partners were not going to be ready for another day or two, so I decided to go out for a boatride the next morning. Went way up the Prophet River, beyong where the Miniker runs in, to check out the open Cow area. I was up the week before and saw lots of Cow Elk running around. Wanted to see what the water levels were like, and see if there were any hunting camps in the area. Turns out there was nothing but horses running all over the place. Very interested in me, every place I stopped for a look around the horses would all come trotting over to see me. I fought them off as best I could, but was getting nowhere so I decided to head for home.
    I was still a couple hrs from the truck, and glanced up a long backchanel. There he was, a nice little Bull Elk.........I did a double take...........I really wanted a Cow this yr...........He wasn't a big Bull, maybe he would be good enough.
    I pulled the boat in to shore a little ways downstream, and started walking back to the backchanel. He was still there, but walking directly away from me. I started to follow for a ways, but got ot a point where I HAD to cross the backchanel, too much muck and mud. He caught a glimps of me and bolted for the trees, on the right side, I knew that if he made it into there he was gone. I also knew he had at least 4 pts on one side, so I made a quick decision to take a shot. Not a teribly difficult shot, but I led him too much and missed..........that's right I missed. But, the shot turned him back across the chanel and he vanished into the willows. Now, if I could get up there a little farther I knew I would have him between me and the river, so I headed to where he went into the willows. Seemed as though he had the same thought 'couse all of the sudden he was back out in the backchanel in front of me. He was quartering away, so I had a little more time, raised my 8mm Mag and took the opertunity. He stumbled, stopped, and raised his "off side" front leg a bit. I knew it was a good hit, but as a rule, I like them to drop where I want, not where they want, so I fired again.............another good hit, but he stumbled into the bush.
    At this point I thought I was filming all of this.............I was wrong. Started recording after the shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjJD6...eature=channel

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk Hunt- 4 pt down.

Nice looking Elk. Sorry the camera wasn't on. Nice shooting.
    It is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and proven one.

Nice job RD! Too bad about missing the footage but you got a freezer full of meat there.
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits"
    Thomas A. Edison

"Sometimes ya gotta let your dog find you"

Well, congrats again!!. You" killing me" with all your good fortune..That young elk will be a tasty one...
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Good job Doc!!!

well i sure wouldn't be complaining about that. nice size elk should be good eatin.

cheers
    stefan

Looks like a good freezer full! Congrats. Thats to bad your cam wasn't on for teh shot.. next time..

good job sound like fun
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!