Re: B&C or Kitten ?

Here's an exerpt from the actual regulation:

STORAGE OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

5. (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
    (a) it is unloaded;
    (b) it is
    (i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
    (ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
    (iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
    (c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.

(3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

The way I read it, if you are storing your firearm in a remote wilderness area, that is not subject to "any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting" (not really sure what that means) then the firearm only has to be left unloaded!

Further, even if the area IS subject to a visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting, all you'd have to do is put a lock on it, and not store it with your ammo!
    Last edited by Kody94; 09-20-2009 at 02:57 PM.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

I guess he didn't consider our camp to be a "remote wilderness" since he drove right in and parked beside the tent. LOL

BTW - Where is your tent? IMHO it is just too easy to cut open a tent and steal where ever valuables are left there. Check out RonC's thread about almost catching some brazen asshole in the backcountry that was going thru his truck bed that has a canopy on it!

I would HATE to have anyone enter my tent, steal a gun, and later use it in the commission of an offense. Personally, I want to do everything possible to prevent that from happening to me. So you could be correct about the letter of the law, and even though it isn't much safer in the truck I'll FEEL better about it being locked and hidden in a locked vehicle, and I think a judge would agree.

Good discussion!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    ...and I think a judge would agree.

Good discussion!
    I agree that its better in a locked vehicle, and I am sure the judge would agree that its better....but he can only rule with the law, and IMHO the law clearly states that you can store a firearm in the wilderness or otherwise, with just a trigger lock and keeping it away from its ammunition.

In the case of a fly in hunt, you don't really have much choice...other than to carry it everywhere you go, which I don't think is required by the law.

Cheers
    4Ster
    - Dr. Seuss

Esther how the heck do you take a thread about cats and turn it into one about guns in tents, you really need to get out side the house/office.

Quote Originally Posted by bayou View Post
    Esther how the heck do you take a thread about cats and turn it into one about guns in tents, you really need to get out side the house/office.
    So true....
    - Dr. Seuss

Yes in sour taste I pointed out it is a kitten.
    For that, apparently I need to watch my back now as there will be "guardian angels" at my door
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

RiverBoatFantasy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Yes in sour taste I pointed out it is a kitten.
    For that, apparently I need to watch my back now as there will be "guardian angels" at my door
    I know a crack shot that can protect your azz. The NeckDoctor.

Good post on showing a few pics of what a kitten looks like Andy.
    I too hope that hunters provided with the opportunity to encounter a cougar will take the time to TRY and identify WHICH gender the cat is, and take the time to discern if it may infact be a kitten that you're looking at.

Yes, identifying the gender of a cat on the ground is difficult at best........however, if it were a lactating female, swollen breasts may be easliy visible.

No question, having the cat in a tree makes it much easier to identify the genitallia.

Here's a link to some interesting cougar info with pics...

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/cons...-education.pdf