Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bears!!!to shoot or not to shoot!!!

bears!!!to shoot or not to shoot!!!

i have been hunting for several years and last year i see lots of big black bears so i decided to get a bear tag and of course after i got the tag i didnt see a one...but am still uncertain if wanna shoot a bear...i have head bear meat and i like it...i dont know why i am uncertain bout shootin one maybe it is just becuase i have never seen one shot and gutted before and have heard a few horror stories bout bears not dieing with one shot...anyways i just wanted a few peoples opions on bear hunting and if it would be better to do in spring or early fall i seen lots this past early fall...and with spring commin soon and since i m missin huntin so bad i was thinkin maybe bout going out this spring to find one...is there any benifits of spring bears??? thanx in advance for all the input...

2. Site Sponsor

bone-collector Guest
    blahhhhhh , like any animal you shoot it in the right spot they die, as for what time of year , well spring hunters are usually after the hides as there at there prime right out of the den. in the fall a good berry bear is about as choice eating as it gets without a doubt .

I hunt em mainly in the spring, they seem to be easier to find, from mid May to early June. Just put a well contructed bullet, 7mm 160 gr. as a solid minimum, into the vitals, and you'll kill them without trouble.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Bear hunting

I’m kind of curious about gutting a bear too. I’ve never seen one done before. I’ve gutted a dozen or so deer but never a bear. My wife and I have eaten bear sausages and pepperoni and we both love it. It gives me another opportunity to spend more time in the woods in the spring.
    Is there a thick layer of fat on the belly side too in the spring? Hopefully I’ll find out this spring when the Island crew takes to the woods. Good luck for everyone that’s going out this spring.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

thanx for the replies and info guys...i think i m pretty set on finding a bear this year...and seeeing as we are allowed 2 i think i will look in the spring and then again in the early fall...i shoot with an old british 303 usually shooting 150 but last year was 180 grain bullets...do u think that will do the trick? thanx once again for the replies...i love this site!!!

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson
    Gutting a bear is really no different than gutting anything else as far as the general viscera are concerned. If you are keeping the hide, which you probably are, then you will want to look on the internet for a bear skinning guide......before you go out and kill and gut one.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3killslookin4more
    i shoot with an old british 303 usually shooting 150 but last year was 180 grain bullets...do u think that will do the trick?
    Yeah the .303 British will work, with either weight bullet, but the 180 gr. will give you more penetration and a higher chance of an exit hole, which could be essential if the bear makes it off into some thick brush. 8O

I'd reccomend the Remington load, 180 gr. CorLokt, I was backing up my friend when he plugged this brute @ 30 yards with his p14 .303 (it took 3 shots from him, and 4 outta my 7mm Rem Mag w/ 175 gr. X's to kill the *******, but we won't get into that )

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson
    [quote="Firebird"]

I'd reccomend the Remington load, 180 gr. CorLokt, I was backing up my friend when he plugged this brute @ 30 yards with his p14 .303 (it took 3 shots from him, and 4 outta my 7mm Rem Mag w/ 175 gr. X's to kill the *******, but we won't get into that ) [quote="Firebird"]

Sounds exciting!!! Wish I was there for that one!
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstix
    Sounds exciting!!! Wish I was there for that one!
    Yeah I could of used your 338 RUM, flinging 250 gr. Par-smash-em's

k thanx once again fo the info guys...all those shots to kill that bear sounds like my first buck i got...i shot at him once and missed and thanx to the hunting gods he stayed put and i shot him again and he went down hard when i got up to him i had to put three shots in his head and one i his neck before he would quit kicking...and he was just a lil tiny guy...i will try to post some pics when i get some scanned