Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Rhino Hunt in RSA

Re: Black Rhino Hunt in RSA

IMHO, the story does nothing for me ... actually makes me gringe as a hunter. It's pure wealthy testosterone in action ... makes me shake my head in shame.

BCHunter Guest

I'd love to hunt a rhino...a trophy for sure

Quote Originally Posted by bsa30-06
    Holy crap what a beast , i dont think i'll hunt any of those without a rocket launcher.He dont look to mean laying there on the ground but i sure wouldn't want him chasing me.
    No kidding!

It would be fun to go on a hunt for huge game like that, you would need a rocket launcher!

Nice Rhino though.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

yes an RPG would come in handy, that is a nice dog he has, looks just like mine. nice story, there was a show about hunting hippos with a bow , that would be scary.

Can't amagin being chased by that thing I was chased by a cow moose once scard the you now what out of me thankfuly my grandpa is a good shot and just hapend to have a cow draw

Ruger #1
    Thanks for the compliment regarding my dog. He was the first one to draw our attention to the spot in which the rhino had hid. Once the rhino burst out of the thick stuff and started charging Rudi, the dog chased the rhino while we were shooting it. When I spined the rhino the dog went mad worrying it – his brain had an adrenaline over dose as well.

Well hello Riaan and welcome to huntingBC. This is a nice surprise this morning to see you here. I sure hope you can post here more often in the future and tell us a bit about some of your adventures.

While we are shoveling snow, you must have it quite hot right now?

Hi Mooseman,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Up until last week we were still gripped in a bad drought. The rains that should have started in Sept./Oct. stayed away and we had warm gusting winds and temps. in the mid 30's. The rains have finally come now, and it seems that we might have rain for at least the next week. Max temps. are now in the upper 20's and it is real nice.
    It's incredible how nature responds to these changes. On a game drive yesterday morning my boys and I saw calves and lambs of eland, springbok, impala and zebra that was not there the previous week.
    Have you seen Melana again?

That sounds nice. We just had some snow and a bit of rain after but it left enough to make it worth while to check for some cougar soon.
    One day I have to take my boys and and join you and your's. Ups, yes the wife I shouldn't forget or I'll be hung upside down. And not by the feet, if you know what I mean.

I have not seen Melana again. Paul is getting a mussle brake put on to his 300 win.mag. Then I will take him out to the rifle range. Next Spring perhaps "bruno" (also here on HBC) and I will take Paul out for bear.

Do you have any guests right now?

Yes it would sure be good fun to hunt in each others territories. The boys will sure have a blast! My eldest boy is having his birthday "camp" two Saturdays from now. It is a slight variation from the standard birthday party. Only boys and dads are invited. We meet the "guests" on Friday afternoon on one of my hunting areas just out Bloemfontein. There we have two separate tent camps, one for the boys and one for the dads.
    Friday evenings are spent around the campfires, and each camp are left to enjoy the evening as they deem best. The dads camp have the advantage in that we’ll have some of my camp staff to attend to the cooking and serve as waiters for drinks and snacks. The boys camp fends for them selves, and that is the way they prefer it. If the want to go to bed early or stay op the whole night, it’s up to them.
    Saturdays are spent doing fun things such as target shooting, rock throwing, swimming and stalking competitions. About by midday the "formal events cease. Then the dads return to their camp to discuss "serious stuff" and just hang out. The boys usually spent the afternoon playing cop & robbers or soldiers & terrorists. The evenings are just a leisurely affair, on Sundays we leave after breakfast.
    One of the rules of the camp is that the kids get all their supplies, inclusive of food, drinks and a medical kit on Fridays, and they have to manage that and get thru until the Sunday. Most dads look forward to this "birthday camp" as much if not more that their boys. Your boys will also love this experience.
    No, I don’t have any guests right now. My first clients are only due by the end of February/start of March for the rock pigeon and dove season. We’re going to have exceptional bird shooting this year. Due to the drought, less that 20% of the usual sunflower fields have been planted. So, the birds will be heavily concentrated to the few fields. I guess we’ll have 500 – 800 shells / hunter / day shoots. The dogs will be working themselves into bags of bones.