Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: family dog vs hunting dog

Re: family dog vs hunting dog

I located a BC GSP breeder in BC and emailed for info. They mentioned that they do have a litter comming, but the price is $1000 per pooch!! Friends of mine just bought a chocolate lab for $750...so i guess this is in the same ball park...but really?!...$400 out of the buy and sell sounds alot better!
    Last edited by Tank; 12-25-2005 at 03:39 PM.

See if the breeder has some that are less than breed perfect with respect to breed standards. I know if a Rotty has a white spot on it they are not allowed to show or register them, some even destroy pups with these flaws, others just make sure they're fixed and sell the otherwise normal dogs to pet people.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I thought you were looking to chase cats with it? Most of the breeds mentioned (labradors, golden, pointers etc.) aren't going to cut it when it comes to chasing cougar. If I were you I'd look at Airedales.

ex bc guide Guest

you want to chase cats get hounds!
    Mike

The reason I'm shying away from hounds at this point is that I have neighbors! Having no experience with hounds I am concerned about the noise levels of these dogs when playing the role of family pet. Is this concern justified?
    And I have started to do some reaserch on Airedales, but my better half has shown a real liking for the retrievers, labs, and GSP's....

Tank For a family dog you can't beat a Lab that are also the best water dog there is, but I don't think they would do well for cats. I think you may have to compromise one way or the other. Hounds for cats for sure and nice family dog but it is their nature to howl.Airdales for cats but high strung as far as I know. I don't know that much about cat dogs but some guys up here have german short hairs.
    For me I would concentrate on the family side and that means LABS !!!!!
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

I met Ruger#1's GSP's today and they are pretty nice dogs, And I am not really a dog person. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

how about a nice black mouth cur ?
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

We have a GSP and he has been great. Once we got over the puppy stage (2yr) he has just got better and better. Short haired and they hardly smell so good for in the house as well. 1st rate with kids and pretty much figured out the bird dog thing on his own. This breed has a very strong "desire to please" attitude and this makes them pretty easy to train. Only barks when there is a need and understands the words "hush-dog".

As our boy is getting on we are thinking about a new one and will probably get a female this time (no more dead bushes). $400.00 is too cheap for this breed and I would wonder about quality (hips/heart) but 1000.00 is WAY too much. With any breeder, hips, heart and temperment should be GTD. A friend of the family bought a "cheap" GSP and it died from a heart attack at the age of 3 yrs. Genetic heart defect. Get references and CHECK THEM OUT!

Ive had no problems with my dogs, and to me paper is just paper. i have no papers with my dogs, my dogs are healthy and i did pay $400.00 for one , and another lady wanted $500.00 for the other one Ive got, when she seen my other gsp , she just gave me the dog, and said i could have it as long as she could come over and visit. the only two things wrong with the dog is it has some bad habits, and has a ridge going down its neck that is six inches long. it looks okay, but with a defect like that breeders destroy this kind. the dog was given to me at a little over a year old. and i have the same vet that she had, heck i bought a dog from the swap meet and it lived for over 14 years until i had to put it down , and i only paid $50.00 for that one.