Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: family dog vs hunting dog

Re: family dog vs hunting dog

you should check out some of the cur dogs . most of the trailing dogs will cover ground fast, hounds especially .
    You can find some close hunting hounds and there is a certain amount of influence that an owner has on a dog that can make a hound into a manageable animal . heck one of my hounds will even retreive stuff for me .
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Tank: I would take a good look at an Airdale, check out Clint S. wed site.....
    "Hunting" is selective harvesting of organically grown, free ranging meat, achieved by placing a good bullet in a vital spot. !!!

I'm looking for something similar. Clint pointed me in the direction of a few books on the Airedale. If you're interested I'll PM you the titles.

Tank our golden retriever came from a breeder in kamloops, sorry dont know the name the dog was a gift for my daughter when she was just little.I cant get over how protective she is of all our kids she even barks at me if she thinks i,m playing to rough with the kids.They train alot of these dogs for the blind as seeing eye dogs if they can do that kind of work im sure you could train them to follow a trail.

Dont have one, buy an ex does, a chocolate lab, eager to please, docile yet energetic, good genes and you have a helluva partner. 1st year is crucial though, put in that time required, and you'll get the results you want depending what you are looking for, as with any breed I am sure.
    Good luck.
    Note; grew up with a springer and she was excelent at whatever, pheasants, grouse and even protection against the neighborhood bully lol, but noW i AM 6'4: 240LBS, with extensive kickboxing training, so thats not an issue, cheers

Get a golden retriever, they are protective and good hunting dogs if you train them. Most dogs are smart it just takes proper training to make them a good hunting dog. Our golden naturally picked up retrieving and is protective when people are rough housing similar to BSA's golden. My vote is definitely for the Golden Retriever.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Lots of good advice comming! Thanx! I have been emailing some Golden Retriever breeders in BC for more info. I've also been looking closely at German Shorthair Pointers. I have heard a number of good things about them (like many of the breeds mentioned already), but I haven't been able to locate any BC breeders for more information. Anyone have any experience/ advice with these dogs?

I think ruger#1 has german shorthairs you may to pm him he will probably be able to help you out with info on these dogs.

Look into the Brittany Spaniels as well. Great hunting dogs (actually are pointers) and super family pets. Now you said in your post that you wanted a cat hunting dog and a brittany would NOT be a good dog for that. Would turn into a snack I'm sure but if you are considering GSP check out the Brits. They are easy to train eager to please and super birdy. Also I have a buddy w/ two springers and they are great dogs as well.
    One of the nice things about these dogs is that they are not huge which is nice if they are an indoor dog. As well their coats are very low maintance and they do not smell bad like some of the breed mentioned here. Good Luck!

hi tank, i have 2 gsps, one is stocky and all liver with a white patch, has treed a few bears , and like to go for birds, my advice would be , do not get one that someone else has had for a few years, my liver one was a pup when i got her, she is an aw some dog , the other one was given to me, it was one year old and has very bad habits, that are getting broke slowly,they are very affectionate dogs. Ive had them up north, in November they don't mind the cold. in the buy sell there were pups for $400.00 each . I'm sure whatever bread you get you will be happy.a good book to get is [ guide to hunting dogs] i have so many books on dogs guns and hunting it isn't funny.we had a black lab , very good dogs. if you do get one i would advise on a female, they don't pee all over your plants on the property.i also use electronic collars and they do work good ,mine will work up to 1/2 a mile. in case they are chasing the wrong game. pm me if you need any info. Mark