Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: best hunting/hiking boots

Re: best hunting/hiking boots

I have been using Danners but I am switching to Hanwags going with the Alaskan GTX. I will post later how they work.

Anything German/Italian full rubber rand,make sure they are a good fit.

Jackson,get the most expensive pair you can get ,your old mans made of money
    Midnight toker

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution View Post
    Love my Danners.
    Danners are great, I wear them for work and hunting. very comfy, tough and affordable.

I also have a pair of Kenetrek Boots, they are high quality, tough, light, waterproof and very supportive. They feel like you are wearing a ski boot. Only thing is they are not as comfortable as Danners.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

I wear a poly sock liner made by Browning and then a 15" Merino Wool sock over top of the liner, that keeps the sweat down. So far I have no complaints about hot feet in my Goretex. Havent really used them in the snow but standing in running water for an hour the other day they were still dry. I take an old tooth brush and scrub the seams then reapply the break in grease. Like I said I love my Danners and for under $400 I think they are well worth it.

Danner Fort Lewis.
    GOOD FRIENDS TO HUNT WITH, FRESH AIR TO BREATH, THE B.C. OUTDOORS, BIG GAME AND BROADHEADS, WHAT A LIFE. MAY THE DESTINATION OF YOUR PROJECTILES REACH YOUR DESIRED POINT AND YOUR NEXT HARVEST BEST YOUR BEST TO DATE.

I've worn out several pairs of boots over the years. The latest pair I bought last year were Danner, Fort Lewis.

This is an all leather, unlined, full lace up boot - seems to be well made. The fit was very good for me...time will tell.

A couple of posters have in my view hit this topic on the head. By a well made leather boot, treat it well, and be very, very, fussy in deciding on the fit.

As long as it is of reasonable quality I think the fit and how you care for them is more important than the brand.

Devil bear, how are the Van Gorkums?

Anybody had any experience with Gornell Klondikes, they look very well made? In the past I've always had Scarpas but have found that with heavy use the rubber on the toes separates within a year or two. Thats why I like the look of the Gornell, all leather and the sole is stiched to the boot.

Where would a guy buy a pair of Danners or Meindls in the Vancouver area?

I must agree with Devilbear, there is no perfect for everyone. Each foot is individual and what works for one may not for another. My husband has a narrow foot, and I for a woman a wide foot. He can't wear the same make or model as I. I know one thing for sure, if you get the wrong foot bed for you your knees will tell you pretty darn fast.