Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kifaru G2 Longhunter Rendezvous & Thermarest Neo Air initial review

Kifaru G2 Longhunter Rendezvous & Thermarest Neo Air initial review

Pack showed up today and I picked up a Neo Air in the large size.

The Neo Air rolls up nice and tight, weighs nothing for the comfort of it. Might have to be a little carefull when clearing your area to sleep (sharp stuff) because it sure doesnt feel that tough, but I imagine they wouldn't have released it if it won't hold up (I hope)
    I look forward to much better sleeps after using a crappy old thermorest that was always deflated after 2-3 hours of sleep. I'm 6'3" and 235lbs and I dont even come CLOSE to bottoming out at any point and the mattress' air volume is easily adjustable while laying on it.
    Not going to miss waking up with charlie horses and bruised hip bones from sleeping on rocks !
    They were out of pack light repair kits but I'll get one just in case.

Less than 1/3 the size of the original thermarest.

The new Kifaru G2 has a lot of changes over the previous model, most importantly, the ease of taking the pack bag off and using the frame sheet as a hauler as well as contoured shoulder straps, a new raised lumbar support pads with a ventilationb channel between to reduce over heating/sweating and a thicker back pad piece at the bottom.
    I'm amazed at how perfectly this pack fits the contour of my back, its like it was molded to ME.
    It took about 1 minute to take the bag off and 5 mins to get back together and to fit me properly again. Definitely sufficient for leap frogging camp and game.
    The rendezvous can pack more than any guy would want to haul for any real distance, but the room is nice for stuffing a jacket in quick etc without having to make everything "fit" in a smaller pack.
    My only complaint is they wouldnt make it in the camo that they make their military packs in (like the mystery ranch camo I see they now make)
    But really,, whatever.

One thing I DONT like about the Kifaru is the reversible fleece camo/orange panels. When hiking through wet brush or in rain they absorb a lot of water and add considerable weight. Fortunately they are easily removeable.

Almost fully loaded (couldnt walk into the bathroom without hitting the top of the door frame with the pack fully stuffed)

Regular load with 9" 'snow' collar tucked in.

Now I'm going to go see if I can arrow a nice blacktail
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 08-24-2009 at 05:36 PM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kifaru G2 Longhunter Rendezvous & Thermarest Neo Air initial review

Where did ya get the neo-lite and how muchy was it??
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

I surely will invest in one of those Neo Air's, size and weight seem appealing, time will tell if its durable.

Thx
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Nice looking pack Andy. I already have a Prolite IV thermarest. Good for 4 seasons, packs pretty small. If the NeoAir is cooler I'll have to buy it... Every guy needs 4 thermarests.

Carl

$169 from Valhalla Outdoors here in Courtenay.
    They have a couple left...
    I asked if there was a warranty and they said any problem and they'd take care of me. So I plan on being pretty rough on it (C'mere hunny! ) and see how it does on our rifle opener Sept.12 on a local over nighter.
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Devilbear Guest

What motivated you to choose the Kifaru over a Mystery Ranch? I had a Kifaru Gen. 1 Rondy and have two MR NICE frame combos, plus several other Dana Geason packs and I found that the Kifaru would not handle weight, for me, nearly as well as the MRs will.

But, everyone is different and I am just curious? I love the Kifaru Gunbearer, have one on about every pack I own and also the Cargo Chair, I have one of their larger tipis, as well.

I'm not 100% sure why I chose the Kifaru over the MR.
    I did a lot of reading on severeal sites etc and in the end it just looked like the Kifaru had more input on it at the time. I had a generation 1 as well but just sold it and upgraded to the G2.

Too bad a guy cant order them all and send back the ones he doesnt like !

[quote=Devilbear;501982]What motivated you to choose the Kifaru over a Mystery Ranch? I had a Kifaru Gen. 1 Rondy and have two MR NICE frame combos, plus several other Dana Geason packs and I found that the Kifaru would not handle weight, for me, nearly as well as the MRs will.

Have you seen how small them blacktails are!!! Weight is not an issue for an island guy!

Hey easy now don't pick on us for our radiated dink dog deer
    I hunt other stuff too !
    I use the J104 for here.

Anybody could find a 190" mulie with racks the size of an old growth snag on top of their head !
    Trade ya a hunt sometime
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 08-26-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Hey easy now don't pick on us for our radiated dink dog deer
    I hunt other stuff too !
    I use the J104 for here.

Anybody could find a 190" mulie with racks the size of an old growth snag on top of their head !
    Trade ya a hunt sometime
    Sure, Ill hold ya to that offer..........when I get a rosie draw!