Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has a good knife?

Re: Who has a good knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I liked my first Buck Vanguard so much, that when I broke the first one, I bought another.
    Broke mine twice, sent them both in for a free replacement. Through Hub in Abby.

Devilbear Guest

Most factory knives are junk and not worth buying, I have had literally dozens of them, from about all well-known makers, Puma, Gerber, Buck, Russell, Premier, Boker, I.X.L., Case, Cold Steel and a few others. My Gerber Flayer broke at the handle-blade junction, as many did and none of the above would keep an edge, while Bucks will chip and break off tips....crap, all of them.

I have several custom knives and that is THE way to go, IMO, my Gene Ingram "whammer" set cost a fair bit, but, they sell on 24Hr, for more than I paid and are perfect. Charlie May of Mississippi, a friend of Gene's makes superb knives, I have one and two on order. Gene has a four year wait time, while Charlie is about two years and the cost per knife delivered here is about $400.00.

The nicest custom knives I have seen here were made by Del Corsi, Harald Moeller and Steven Price, the latter two are no longer working, AFAIK. I also have a pair of gorgeous knives from O'Connell that my wife bought me for our first Christmas, but, he is no longer working, either.

A GOOD custom knife, from D2, properly hardened and sharpened, will do an entire Elk, two Deer or a Moose and STILL be sharp, but, could use a "touchup". It may SEEM foolish to pay $400.00 for a knife, my O-'Connell set were about $350.00+ tax in 1982, BUT, a lifetime of excellent performance is worth it, IMO.

If, you are really serious about hunting and other bush activities, you will sacrifice lots of things to afford the top quality gear so that you can enjoy your outdoor time to the utmost....I HATE crappy knives and other gear that doesn't perform.

I have a handmade Heinz Leiber.It is a thing of beauty.Holds an edge like nothing else.In contrast my next favourite is a $10 Frost commonly available at fishing supply stores.Weighs nothing,holds an excellent edge as well.
    BCWF
    WSSOBC-Life Member

I used to have a Finnish blade I bought of a Finnish soldier for US$ 8.-
    in 1977 while stationed in the middle east.
    did a whole mule deer without sharpening.
    about 15 years ago, one of Canadas' finest thought he needs it more than I do, together with my very expensive camera and pack.
    now I use Victorinox and Wenger folders, don't hold the edge as well as the Finn, but are THE best allround knifes in the bush.

I have been using a Cutco knife for the last 6 years. Has a serated blade which I did not know when I purchased it. I was amazed at how well I can skin with it. I have done 5 elk and a moose with it and it still does not need sharpening. I've been told that you send it in to them for sharpening or contact a dealer and they usually just give you a new knife.
    When I shut my mouth and walk away, it doesn't mean you've won......it simply means your stupid a$$ isn't worth any more of my time!

I have a custom Kerr knife, he's in Lethbridge. Very hard steel that keeps an edge for several animals before needing a touch up.
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
    I have been using a Cutco knife for the last 6 years.
    Just got the same knife. My understanding is it never needs sharpening.
    The boys in Sask. were ripping briskets wide open with it.
    I like the orange handle also.

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
    I have been using a Cutco knife for the last 6 years. Has a serated blade which I did not know when I purchased it. I was amazed at how well I can skin with it. I have done 5 elk and a moose with it and it still does not need sharpening. I've been told that you send it in to them for sharpening or contact a dealer and they usually just give you a new knife.
    I have (2) of the Cutco knives as well and they work really well. I got them with the fluourescent orange handles so you can find them after you put them down. I sent one in last year for sharpening and all it costs you is the postage. They are sharp though, I warned my buddy before I loaned it to him and promptly sliced his thumb open in 10 seconds! They are around a $100.00 if memory serves me right.

Best knife I have seen was made for my grandpa. It was made from a planner blade from the mill my dad worked at and a antler from the moose my grandpa shot. It now belongs to my son waiting for the day he takes his first big game animal.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkymacker View Post
    I have (2) of the Cutco knives as well and they work really well. I got them with the fluourescent orange handles so you can find them after you put them down. I sent one in last year for sharpening and all it costs you is the postage. They are sharp though, I warned my buddy before I loaned it to him and promptly sliced his thumb open in 10 seconds! They are around a $100.00 if memory serves me right.

The one I am using was about $300. I wish it had the orange handle. I just about lost it last fall when I was skinning my elk and misplaced it
    When I shut my mouth and walk away, it doesn't mean you've won......it simply means your stupid a$$ isn't worth any more of my time!