Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Who has a good knife?

Re: Who has a good knife?

Over the years I've bought lots of knives, to many to name them all, most I still have. Now I carry my Normark Skinning Axe and a Olfa Knife. I use the larger Olfa and carry a box of blades with it. It's always razor sharp, I use it for gutting and skinning, cutting hide etc, and I've always have a sharp blade! Yes, there's lots of real fine knives, store bought and excellent home make ones, I'm not real good at keeping a edge on them, so I let The Olfa Company do it for me!

SOG Revolver
    Knife and Bone Saw all in one. I liked the first one, a drop point with serations at the base of the blade, so much I bought a second one with the gut hook skinner. The first one is still my favorite. hard to beat for $100 and it to holds an edge exceptionaly well. The bone saw is absolutly amazing. Scalples for caping

Buckster

Here's my Ddog knife. It has been well used now and holds up awesome.

A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

A pair of Ingrams I had for awhile, but decided I didn't really care for stag handle scales so I tripped them.

I use knives every day and I sharpen them all the time... My wife has cutco knives in the kitchen....IMHO over priced serated edge mass produced .....j.. although I can put an edge on them but the premise is if they are serated when using you have multiple surfaces cutting at one time so even if they are somewhat dull they will still cut. The smoothe edge ones are poor to average. I too have helped some kids through colledge.
    When some one tells me a knife doesn't need to be sharpened I know they are feeding me a line of bull or never use them.
    For my leather cutting knives I prefer carbon steel blades ( although use a couple of stainless ones also ) made by a knife maker that is a metallurgist first and an artist second.
    I have a client that uses ball bearing steel to make knives. Totally awsome.
    I have a handmade Damascus hunting knife that is fairly good.

I was taken by the shape of this one that a fellow had for sale on gunnutz and just had to have it for my collection. Nothing too fancy but I read good things about them on the intraweb... It is called a Lakota Finwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

I can skin a whole moose with this knife and then 2 elephants and a J-rex. Whatever... If you really can, show us. At the next Surrey/Langley meet I will take a video of anyone willing to compete in a knife cutting competition. Bring your sharpest knife and see how much rope it will cut before it is pooched. Then this debate will be settled.

I been using the same one for 20+ years now. Have no idea what brand it is. my uncle used it B4 me as he was the hunter in his family. I would like to find out what it is. Last fall I took it to an old shoe maker and got a new sheath made for it.

You will love it. I have only used it on 2 deer but it is still deadly sharp. When I gave it to my buddy to gut his deer I told him to be careful "its sharp" he just looked at me. Less than a minute later he was bleeding.
    So be careful they are sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by -DC- View Post
    Just bought a Cutco Drop Point Hunting Knife with the Double D edge from the Cutco Canada website. Sounds like they have some great reviews from this site and many others. Can't wait to try it out!

I use a $65 buck knife for cutting and skinning.Works really well when skinning deer and cutting deer. But remember for new people with skinning, its not really the knife that is no good, its the hide and hair or animals that dulls the blade