Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Who has a good knife?

Re: Who has a good knife?

Has anyone had any experience with any of the SOG Knives

Kershaw echo onion, holds an real good edge. When through two moose without having to sharpen.
    Member BCWF

I have the Whitetail Skinner by outdoor edge. I am really impressed with this piece of kit, especially with a pricetag of $60. Ciskman and I dressed my bear the other day, and then I skinned it. It was as sharp as when I started, I am really happy with this knife just the right size feels great.

just my 303cents
    Last edited by 303Brit; 10-03-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

I have a SOG hunter revolver.....nice fixed blade that has a rather small gut hook on the back which I don't tend to use but the revolver part is a push pin lock releases a bone saw and the whole thing pivots and the blade swings into the handle and leaves you with the saw. Locks in nice and holds an edge quite well. Been happy with it so far and carry it everywhere.....I have an spare I carry that I made out of some old chain saw bar from the shop.....the older bars have some great steel in them and hold a good edge....with an antler handle. Bunch of messing around to get it to work well but turned out pretty good.

I just bought a Knives of Alaska Trekker (elk model with drop pt blade and blaze handle.) D2 tool steel. Very light, minimalist knife which I look forward to using this year. Was looking for a small blade (this is 3 3/8") and really good steel. Blade has a good choil (indent between handle and blade) for the forefinger to grip, which makes the blade very controlable and is something I look for in a knife. www.knivesofalaska.com

The Bench Made Rant Bowie mentioned earlier looks like an excellent knife with good steel (440C).

Sounds like the steel on your blade is poor. Time to upgrade! There is lots of info available online on knife steel.
    Last edited by RBH; 10-03-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: correcting terminology

Grohmann! I started off with the grohmann orginal. My mother gave it to my father as an anneversery gift, and my father passed it on to me. Used it on my first deer amoung other things. Now have the grohmann G4, "survival" knife; even better than the original. There are 4 grohmann made knives that D.H. Russell designed; most for back country use. They are Canadian made! and are great quality! I have a hunting partner who would carry a cheap (but functional) knife in case he might loose it, but now carries a grohmann. They're just so versitile not to mention astectically pleasing. I take pride in carrying a canadian made blade when hunting canadas game.

There is also the grohmann deer and moose knife (not designed by D.H. Russell), i have seen and held this knife and I find it to be robust, yet incorporates a design for delicate cuts.

Just can't go wrong carrying a grohmann. Loosing one would be a terrible feeling though.

Quote Originally Posted by 303Brit View Post
    I have the Whitetail Skinner by outdoor edge. I am really impressed with this piece of kit, especially with a pricetag of $60. Ciskman and I dressed my bear the other day, and then I skinned it. It was as sharp as when I started, I am really happy with this knife just the right size feels great.

just my 303cents
    I also have and love the Whitetail Skinner, works awesome.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    HATT Knives are very good knives I personally own two and so does my dad and bil. He is located in Enderby61
    Roger Hatt makes very nice knives,Floyd Tournier in Armstrong also makes a very good knife at a reasonable price.I use Dozier knives,and have a couple of Ingrams that get used once in a while.There are plenty of 1st class makers in BC,some of which post on this board.You'll have no problem finding a good knife! Gunner

I make my own, I currently use a thick bladed skinner as for bought I like my Gerber Gator (with a sharp flick of the wrist the blade pops out fast).
    http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/s...ecember079.jpg
    Last edited by gibblewabble; 10-30-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Little clump of bush between Sask. and Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilbear View Post
    Most factory knives are junk and not worth buying, I have had literally dozens of them, from about all well-known makers, Puma, Gerber, Buck, Russell, Premier, Boker, I.X.L., Case, Cold Steel and a few others. My Gerber Flayer broke at the handle-blade junction, as many did and none of the above would keep an edge, while Bucks will chip and break off tips....crap, all of them.

I have several custom knives and that is THE way to go, IMO, my Gene Ingram "whammer" set cost a fair bit, but, they sell on 24Hr, for more than I paid and are perfect. Charlie May of Mississippi, a friend of Gene's makes superb knives, I have one and two on order. Gene has a four year wait time, while Charlie is about two years and the cost per knife delivered here is about $400.00.

The nicest custom knives I have seen here were made by Del Corsi, Harald Moeller and Steven Price, the latter two are no longer working, AFAIK. I also have a pair of gorgeous knives from O'Connell that my wife bought me for our first Christmas, but, he is no longer working, either.

A GOOD custom knife, from D2, properly hardened and sharpened, will do an entire Elk, two Deer or a Moose and STILL be sharp, but, could use a "touchup". It may SEEM foolish to pay $400.00 for a knife, my O-'Connell set were about $350.00+ tax in 1982, BUT, a lifetime of excellent performance is worth it, IMO.

If, you are really serious about hunting and other bush activities, you will sacrifice lots of things to afford the top quality gear so that you can enjoy your outdoor time to the utmost....I HATE crappy knives and other gear that doesn't perform.
    I couldn't agree more.
    "Duck.....or.... Bleed"