Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has a good knife?

Who has a good knife?

I have a Gerber that seems to go dull before I'm done a deer.My dad had a Gerber Flayer? late 70's to mid 80's that he could easily skin two moose with.Be nice to hear some testimonials.Spill yer guts. Whose got a good knife?By the way when i sharpen the Gerber i can shave hairs no prob;so its not my sharpening.Who uses what?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Who has a good knife?

I have a Benchmade Rant Bowie i really like the knife alot and it holds its edge like you wouldnt believe! hard to find a dealer in Canada i bought it at Cabelas in Michigan when i was there a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by ElkMasterC View Post
    Shot placement kills animals. Forget the magfags.
    “I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness.” ~Ted Nugent.

looks almost like a buck vanguard, but from what i've read so far benchmade uses much better steel.

Best steel I've owned so far, and I've got LOTS of knives, are my custom knives made by DDOG. Not sure the steel, but it's top knoch. Slow to sharpen due to it's hardness, but holds an edge forever. Biggest thing is to keep your skinner as your skinner only and use a utility(gutting) hunting knife for cutting around bone, gutting ect. I had him build me a skinner at something like 15 degrees and utility at about 30. I'm sure he could chime in and give you the exact angles ect...Anyways, the fine angle of the skinner sharpens faster & sharper but doesn't hold up to abuse. While the steeper angle takes alot more time to sharpen but can withstand the abuse of cutting bone, wood ect...

Google "friction forging" and take a look at the Diamond Blade knives. Pricey but would probably be the last knife you'd ever need to buy (not too much fun but if you want a nice piece of steel.....). Certain SOG knives use good steel as well. Still a little pricey but worth the money. Russell makes nice affordable knives.

I liked my first Buck Vanguard so much, that when I broke the first one, I bought another. I reshaped the old one so at least I can use it for camp chores.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

read an article in a knife mag.thy tested three knives on hogs after they shot them.the gerber metolius,kershaw pronghorn and some other knife?the new kershaw(better than most avg knives)had to be sharpened on rods to finish the first hog. the new gerber (better steel than reg grbr knives)finished the first hog?the other knife did TWO hogs!!better steel i guess.

I have an excellent knife that Ddog custom made for me.

Gergers always had a nice edge but tended to be hard to sharpen. I know of a few of those Vanguards breaking. After leaving a few knives at distant gut piles, I went with a relatively inexpensive Buck with flourescent orange handles. It came with extra blades which are easy to change, but tend to stay sharp anyways.

I have a sentimental Buck that I have had since I was 10, but I also have a Ternier knife. He makes beautiful knives.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."