Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone wanna take me goosing?

Anyone wanna take me goosing?

Hey all!

I'm on my second year hunting ducks, but my buddy with the boat and the dog and the blinds and the decoys has headed home for the holidays... (this appears to not be a cheap sport to get into ) I do have my own waders and a dozen mallard decoys (well, 11 decoys at last count. Apparently despite the note on the cord saying 100' should be enough for a dozen decoys, 8' lines are a bit short when the tide comes in...) and a camo'd jacket, so I'm not *totally* useless, I hope...

I'd love to try shoot a goose for *my* holidays, though, if anyone's heading out over the weekend (within driving distance of Vancouver) when they're back in season, and would want to show a relative newbie some more ropes. Or more ducks; I'm a beggar rather than a chooser

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone wanna take me goosing?

Dude, In all honesty you have made 2 posts and you are asking people to take you out hunting. I don't want to sound like a jerk but maybe you should try introducing yourself and making some posts before you ask people to take you hunting. I have seen a lot of this going on in other forums around the net. People just come on and immediately want to know where to hunt/fish or want people to take them out. I doubt anybody would pick a stranger up off the street and take them hunting. I think people should get familiarized before making posts such as this. Once again I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything just my 2 cents. PS Welcome to Huntingbc!
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Arrow Re: Anyone wanna take me goosing?

welcome to HBC, I'm sure there are a few guys on this site that would take you hunting if they have the time, stick around, post up, and see what happens.

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Dirty , will you take me duck hunting? I know where you work, so you ust know where all the great spots are! Oh yeah and you have a Jet boat, that means you really know all the best spots.

hey i'd love to take you out to one of my secret goose spots. i too love the roast goose dinner. but my friend the thing with geese is once they get shot at too much in one area they start to avoid it. if someone takes you out and you keep going back to their spot it will make their spot that much less productive. this really frightens goose hunters. however if you "earn a spot" it's all the sweeter. i had know idea where to go on public land but i put my time in and sure enough i found a jim-dandy spot!! and it's mine ha ha all mine but once i guy came into my blind area so i fired a warning shot into his chest.!!... good luck you'll find em. or keep asking and hey some old timer just may hand you something on a silver platter.
    i feel your pain honk, honk, honk,!

Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers. I guess I've read more than posted, because I don't know enough to have anything meaningful or constructive to add... Plus in my experience taking newbies and strangers out hiking and skiing and climbing and whatnot, whatever they may say about themselves on teh intarweb (or even in person, in town) is pretty irrelevant. I'll take folks out and teach 'em what I can, but I won't particularly trust them until I've seen them in the hills. But maybe things work differently around here.

Anyway, I'm quite happy not being handed a sweet spot on a silver platter, but as they say, there's a fine line between hunting and sitting there looking stupid. I'm not even sure what, exactly, I'd be looking for while putting my time in... Maybe I should just sit around marshes looking stupid in hopes that it will magically become obvious?

So, NEEHAMA, would you, uh, mind telling me where this jim-dandy secret spot is? Not that I'd dream of hunting it, of course, but just so I, uh, know where to avoid putting my time in Wouldn't want a warning shot to the chest, you know

Good answer,

All the best,Greendog

If you are serious about learning about waterfowl hunting I suggest joining a waterfowl hunting club. Two clubs off the top of my head are Associated Wildlife Preserves and Local Hunters Club. These two clubs provide fields for members and do pheasant releases. They are a great way to get started into the sport because they provide you with fields to hunt. In addition most of them host meetings and such where you can meet people face to face. This is a good way to find new hunting buddies. In addition, If you want to be a popular waterfowl hunting buddy get a dog and train it well, everybody wants to hunt with a good dog. I hope this can be of more help as my previous post was less informative. I was just trying to emphasize the fact that it's tough to find hunting buddies when you don't know anybody.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

man NÉE, that was a harsh reply, we need more hunters, not less to fight the liberal attacks against the sport that we love to do. sorry rudar i used to duck hunt. but got tired of eating the muddy birds. some of them taste fishy unless you get the northerns, I'm sticking with quail, chukar, pheasants, grouse and turkeys. and like dirty said if people dont know you, or how safe you are with guns then it is very hard to find someone to take you, your best bet would be to go to a rod and gun club turkey shoot.when someone takes you out show respect and be very safe, i have taken people out before. one guy had his gun loaded in my truck, immediately i took him back to camp and told him his hunting trip was over.

[quote=NEEHAMA]...but once i guy came into my blind area so i fired a warning shot into his chest.!!... [quote]

Whats that mean?

You shot at the guy?
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ