Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Sheep Hunting Gear - good, bad, & ugly from recent hunts

Re: Sheep Hunting Gear - good, bad, & ugly from recent hunts

Quote Originally Posted by oldnotdead View Post
    30.40 krag, 2 power weaver scope, good knife, trapper nelson pack frame, canvas tarp, logging boots with worn corks and felt insoles, felt hat, wool jacket, filson tin pan jacket, jack shirt,stanfields, matches dipped in parafin wax, garlic sausage and cheese and onion. The onion goes with the sheep meat. Imagine when this was cutting edge.
    Here I was hoping that you did a retro trip and would report on how things unfolded! Them boys were a little or a lot physically and mentally tougher than most of us. Part of me would like to try the old gear and walk in their boots for a few weeks . . . another part says "no thanks".

Not much new gear tried this year as it was mainly replacements for boots, pack frame, poles, etc. Did buy the new Delorme InReach SE and with the two way communication it was great. Would even be better if your partner has one then you can communicate with each other when you're solo for a day or two. The unit is lighter, more compact, reliable, cheaper and handier to use than the previous Iridium sat phone I have used.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Re: Sheep Hunting Gear - good, bad, & ugly from recent hunts

Quote Originally Posted by oldnotdead View Post
    30.40 krag, 2 power weaver scope, good knife, trapper nelson pack frame, canvas tarp, logging boots with worn corks and felt insoles, felt hat, wool jacket, filson tin pan jacket, jack shirt,stanfields, matches dipped in parafin wax, garlic sausage and cheese and onion. The onion goes with the sheep meat. Imagine when this was cutting edge.
    It was a matter of going with what you had. Pretty much what I started with. 303/open sights, got a new Ruger 77 in 270 in '76, that was a quantum leap. Paris work boots with steel toes... now wearing Hanwags with NO STEEL TOES. The reliable bic lighter was another leap. Makes you appreciate todays stuff.
    "Often the context of the question is lost in the answers."