Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunting Gear - good, bad, & ugly from recent hunts

Sheep Hunting Gear - good, bad, & ugly from recent hunts

Well it is looking like a number of you are returning from recent sheep hunts. Curious while things are fresh in your minds what gear was good, what was crap, what could have been left behind, and perhaps what do you wish you would have taken?
    I'm in the midst of rounding out some gear prep for an upcoming 8 day mid September sheep hunt. Figure I still have time if there is good gear I don't yet have, or better yet maybe there are things I am planning on taking that I can leave behind.
    Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sheep Hunting Gear - good, bad, & ugly from recent hunts

Wilderness Wanderer...leave it behind. Reliable in a weird way.................it's never failed to let me down

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Good supply of Mountain Money
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Devilbear Guest

I gave one a good try, my buddy took his on an Elk hunt at home three years ago and those things HURT a guy.

Go on the various backpacking forums, 24Hr., AR and E-bay and search for a Bozeman-built Dana Design Longbed Terraframe or Longbed Loadmaster. It took me months, but, I finally found two Loadmasters and one Dana-Bozo-Astralplane and exactly the sizes and colours I wanted...I sold one to a guy in Ohio and one should be here next week.

These are simply superb packs for heavy loads, 75 lbs. and up and they LAST. They are in HIGH demand by serious guys who know good packs, but, they can be found, there was a red Loadmaster on "Trailspace" last week and it may yet be there...an awesome pack that I like better than almost anything now available and I have owned and tried a lot.

Expect to pay about $275.00 to $375.00 CDN delivered by post to BC and they are WELL worth the cost and hassle to find!

Damm!!! Mods. forgive my ancient brain and please move this to 4570's thread asking to buy a packframe.....old age is hell!

Bring an extra waist buckle for your pack. Mine broke 4 hours into the hike out . . . good thing I had a spare with me. This isn't the first time I broke one . . . especially with a heavy pack. Two trekking poles are absolutely crucial . . . especially on the way out. I bring a dozen scalpal blades and the handle . . . really helps in skinning the head and turning everything. I know some will disagree with me on this one but in all my Stone sheep hunts (9 so far) I have yet to have used a water purification pump or tablets. Perhaps it's to do with where I've hunted but I just don't bring it or need it. Bring a few extra rounds . . . slipping/falling and bashing the scope happens on occasion. It happened to me once and to my partner on the first day of our most recent trip. It may take 4 or 5 shots to get it back on.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

a GREAT pack is a must, so is a great tent I have the Mountain harware helion 2 exellent..I Highly recomend the PIRANTA SCALPEL KNIFE... phenominal for caping , and take GMRS radios..well worth the weight and bug spray..take LOTS of food and leave at your base camp for when the HUNT is over refueling the body..I liked Scotts idea of those juice crystals for the hydration bags..the small lights with the led bulbs great...

I did use the iodine purification tabs..as water was sometimes questionable quality..never been sick..never want to..

I took 14 rounds of ammo and used 1... SPOT take it use it! highly recomended..2 pillowcases..stuff with clothes =pillow..once sheep is down use one for sheep cape..hang in tree in wind..second holds meat..

steven

Jet boil stove fast,compact, worth every ounce.

I would be interested to have a breakdown of the gear that everybody else has. Perhaps using a standardized list, just copy and paste the following into your post and put the good and bad of your gear. Feel free to add items.

Stove
    Pots
    Sleeping Pad
    Sleeping Bag
    Tent
    Sil Tarp
    Pack
    Trekking Poles
    Footwear
    Water Purification

Stove: Snow Peak Gigapower
    Pots: Snow Peak Titanium 1400/900 Combo
    Sleeping Pad: Thermarest Prolite Plus
    Sleeping Bag: Integral Designs North Twin
    Tent: MSR Hubba Hubba HP
    Sil Tarp: Integral Designs Siltarp III
    Pack: Eberlestock J107 Internal Pack & Tatonka External Pack
    Trekking Poles: Black Diamond Flick Lock
    Footwear: Asolo TPS Gore tex boots
    Water Purification: Tabs
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

My 40$ bushnell P.O.S tripod was deadweight, broke and left me with my lightweight small tripod for my spotting scope, looking to get a new tripod and will spend $ not to be let down by another cheap tri-pod, any recommendations???

Quote Originally Posted by fullcurl33 View Post
    Jet boil stove fast,compact, worth every ounce.
    That is the stove I have. How many of which sized fuel canisters for 2 guys and 8 or so days would you think?