Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full Utilization

Full Utilization

Was just watching a show on the Food Network called Wild Chef. The chef shot a nice moose and then proceeded to cook the various parts. The first part to get cooked were the testicles. Skinned them out, cleaned em off, chopped up and sauteed with shallots and wild mushrooms. Actually looked quite good, may actually have to try that this year with deer testes roasted over a camp fire.
    Other parts quickly consumed were the tongue, kidney, liver, blood in various dishes. So I was wondering what was the degree of utilization practiced by everyone? Meat and?????
    I can speak Canadian in English.

Proud to be a Salmon Farmer.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Full Utilization

I shut it off
    CRAP
    Didn't show the moose hit or get knocked down then eat the junk.

i find his shows a bit " over the top " i watched him make a canned salmon pie. looked allright , but not great, i just remember thinking why can a fresh salmon just to cook it into a pie crust with potatos , why not just use the fresh salmon ???

It depends on the situation, but I enjoy liver and heart.

The Wild CHef has a very successful restaurant in Quebec, and he is known for cooking "old school" lots of offal and off cuts.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by betteroffishing View Post
    i find his shows a bit " over the top " i watched him make a canned salmon pie. looked allright , but not great, i just remember thinking why can a fresh salmon just to cook it into a pie crust with potatos , why not just use the fresh salmon ???
    Good question!

My guiess is that he was trying to do a "classic" dish of th area, when people were cooking salmoin pie in the winter, using canned salmon they had preserved.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

meat ,heart,and liver is what i keep from my animals
    bruce
    i didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a friggin vegatarian

I am all for full utilization, but when I have a moose down and someone says to me "What is the first part you want to eat?" as they did, the first thing that pops into my mind is certainly not the beanbag or its contents, or the tongue.

This guy just seems to be a little too much.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Anything inside the stomach and chest cavity is left for the coyotes and the crows. They gotta eat too.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

meat..heart and liver.heart is my favorite,cooked the day of the kill. makes for a dam good sandwich also.
    Midnight toker

Hey guys lets not be too hard on the guy. This is a pretty mainstream network reminding the masses that hunting equals food. Its a positive message supporting our sport