Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking meals

Re: Backpacking meals

I wouldnt recomnd sidekicks, ate those for 2 years now you couldnt pay me to take them. Ya got to compare apples to apples and see what has the best nutrients per EQUAL serving. Alot of people just dont read enough labels and think they got some super high calorie dinner but in reality the weight is the same as packing 2 mountain house. When it comes to living out of your backpack as light as possible you got to figure out what has the best calories per gram. We pack 1 pound of food per day. Usually couple Instant oatmeals for breaky, couple bars and jerky for lunch and then a Mountain house dinner with a chocolate bar for desert. I try to pack 100 grams of jerky a day but cut back to 80 grams last year. Gatorade or any juice crystals help, hot chocolate is nice on a cold day. You will not starve or lack energy with that meal plan, loose some weight yes but not starve. I dont know about everyone eles but my stomach goes into Starvation mode after 2 days and I do not find my self hungry at all

Even with the MH meals some have way more protein/carbs than others.
    I only take the 3 with the highest contents, they taste fine.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Hot Jello as a drink is awesome. Precooked meals in plastic can be rewarmed in the bag if you're not too long on the hill. Dried fruit can be boiled with sugar, add some Bird's custard powder for a high energy dessert. (Strawberries are the all-time best freeze dried fruit.They come to life in cold water and are shockingly good) Dried apricots were our favorite to chew on the trail.Chicken or turkey gumbo or stews were the only freeze dried we could stomach.Energy bars a must. (Sweets do make you thirst,however) I still think Lipton's chicken noodle is good--if you boil water you can cook mals in a plastic bag, remove and add soup after.) We use oven bags(plastic) that will take high heat, not break and reusable.
    Keep looking--there's awesome new products out there.(PS--wife makes eat-more bars at home--better than energy bars)

Mountain house is the best i have had. I usually bring a mr noodle soup to add to each mtn. house meal. Just as a filler. If i didnt I would end up eating two mtn house meals a night.

uncle bens bistro rice they're microwave but add a half cup of water and cook in a pot for a couple mins. it's way better than the dehyd cardboard, they make me gag unless i'm real hungry,fruit cups are worth packin around,as well as land jagers..the bistro rice is pre cooked,just heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Slee View Post
    Mountain house is the best i have had. I usually bring a mr noodle soup to add to each mtn. house meal. Just as a filler. If i didnt I would end up eating two mtn house meals a night.
    x2...........
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

Here's what our back country list looks like so far:

·Trail Mix
    ·Oatmeal (3 packs, 5 days, 4 ppl = 60)
    ·Jerky
    ·Eggs (3 per, 5 days, 4 ppl = 60)
    ·Bacon (frozen, 2 packs per day X 3 days = 6 packs)
    ·Breakfast sausage (frozen 2 packs X 2 days = 4 packs)
    ·Bread (4 loafs)
    ·Butter
    ·Sandwich meat (frozen)
    ·Steaks (frozen 1 night)
    ·Pork chops (frozen 1 night)
    ·Premade paghetti and sauce (1 night)
    ·Premade chili in freeze dried bag (1 night)
    ·Premade stew in freeze dried bag (1 night)
    ·Cheese
    ·Mountain house (2 packs, 5 days, 4 ppl = 40)
    ·Spice shaker
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Mountain house all the way! Tried just about every freeze dried meal I could get my hands on, and the MH, was the best in taste, calories intake, ease, fuel consumed, and wieght that I could find. Most of them taste quite good, heck I even keep a few in my boat when Im angling for a quick warm meal should I need it.
    Add to a good selection of MH some oatmeal, dried fruit, jerky, tea, gatorade and your set for a back country excursion!

The mac'n'cheese is good as well, but give it 20 minutes to soften the noodles, otherwise the ones mentioned above are great as well. Dont be affraid to buy a few different flavours to try and have em for a few meals before you finish your shopping list so you know what you like. They are after all only about 5-6 bucks at MEC.
    Last edited by SHACK; 08-11-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

I usually take "sushi rice", lentils, oil and different curry packs.
    sushi rice cooks up faster than regualar rice and contains more energy and lentils are light and filling, then curry to flavour it and olive oil for fats.
    This has gotten me through 5 days of hard hiking with minimal weight and i wasnt starving at the end. but i was really sick of curried rice.
    and i bring tuna snacks that come in pouches not cans for snacks as well as trail mix and power bars, and some homemade dried fruits to keep the system working.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer View Post
    MRE's from a army surplus store. They contain main course, dessert, snacks and coffee and tea for the same price as one mountain valley pack.
    Where can you get these, it seems these would be ideal on a horse back trip I am soon to go on.