Thread: Anybody use a Hilleberg?

Anybody use a Hilleberg?

Curious to hear peoples reviews & see pics.
    Looking at the Nallo 2.
    Lots of tents to look at and I only want to buy one once.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

2. Site Sponsor

Devilbear Guest

Re: Anybody use a Hilleberg?

I bought three Hilles. plus a "Bivanorak" and a XP20 Tarp, sold one to my buddy and now have a "Saivo" and a "Soulo" in green. The red "Soulo" I bought was just too bright for me and my buddy just had to have it, so, I let him and got the green version.

The Hillebergs are the BEST tents I have ever used or examined, only Integral Designs is equal in quality and design. They ARE costly and I prefer the freestanding dome styles over the Nallo, Kaitum and so on, BUT, they are WORTH the price you pay.

I also bought and recommend "footprints" for my tents as I have found that this is where most light tents wear out first. I cannot recommend Hilleberg tents too strongly and Petra Hilleberg in WA state is not only gorgeous, she is just excellent to do business with.

Devilbear; Does the Soulo vestible/entrance have a closure on it or is it always exposed (the door) ?

Thanks for that review.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Devilbear Guest

It closes completely and you have enough room to use a tiny canister stove inside. I have a Brunton-Optimus Crux and a Snowpeak Litemax Ti stove and they both work fine there.

For a basecamp but high country tent, especially for longer trips, I would buy the Jannu ahead of anything now on the market, or, perhaps the ID MKIII. I have an ID-MKI-XL and it is one fine tent, but, I like more room for longer stays in schitty weather.

I use a bivy/tarp combo plus a base camp tent like these for solo trips and have a Kifaru 8-man, stove and my Saivo for trips with other guys.

You can buy other tents, but, I have owned and used a lot of them and Hilleberg is in a class by themselves. The Jannu came out after I bought my Saivo and so I do not have one, but, if I were younger and knew I would get the use out of it, I would buy one, no matter what I had to do to get the coin.

Think this clip has a Hilleburg, I think, at about 3:23 of the clip. Looks roomy...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzdxV...eature=related

This clip had three or four parts to it on YouTube, pretty good stuff if ya can't be on the hill.
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC