Thread: Trail cam trouble shoot question.

Trail cam trouble shoot question.

Even though i point my camera North and South i still get pics of nothing. I even bought a small compass so i could be more accurate in my direction to avoid the rising and setting of the sun setting it off. I think my problem may be that i hang my cam off deer trails that are in thick brush so that the shadows will still be creeping along the ground. Would that be the problem and should i hang it in more of an opening where the light isn't as likely to bounce around? The reason i like to hang it deep in the woods is that i'm hoping to get some of the bigger bucks on cam as we all know they like to stay hidden and use these trails to avoid detection unlike the smaller bucks that stand out in the open and at the side of the road.
    If you can sue MacDonalds for getting you fat then why can't you sue the alcohol companies for all the ugly people you ended up sleeping with?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Trail cam trouble shoot question.

My best guess would be that you are getting motion from surrounding vegatation that is setting off the trigger. That goes out the window if your camera is triggered by heat rather than motion.

I'd think that you should have less problems the deeper you are in the woods as there would be less temperature change due to the protection provided by the forest from the sun.

I get the same some times as the sun warms the leaves and vegatation infront of the camera the camera detects heat and sets her off ,I don't think there is nothing you can do about that , but put it in a more shaded area,,do you use a tripod or just fasten to a tree?
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

I guess i'll just have to deal with it. I did have it attached to a screw on holder that you twisted into a tree until some one reemed it off and broke that part of my camera where it screwed in and now i just strap it to the tree. Thanx guys for the input.
    If you can sue MacDonalds for getting you fat then why can't you sue the alcohol companies for all the ugly people you ended up sleeping with?

Little clump of bush between Sask. and Victoria.

If your camera has a setting for sesitivity put it to the middle. I have found this to work. If not, only have the cam pointed down the trail or lick. Last try going farther past the trail" deeper into the woods'', this will cut the sesitivity down big time. I hope this helps.
    "Duck.....or.... Bleed"

Quote Originally Posted by Bearen 09 View Post
    If your camera has a setting for sesitivity put it to the middle. I have found this to work. If not, only have the cam pointed down the trail or lick. Last try going farther past the trail" deeper into the woods'', this will cut the sesitivity down big time. I hope this helps.
    Thanx Bearen.
    The only thing i have on it is a "near/far" adjustment. The far adjustment takes the pics up to 30 feet away and the near one takes the pics up to 15 feet away. Even though i'm deep in the woods where i've been setting up the cam lately, i have left the setting on "far".

Yep cast shadows from the changing sun position and moving foliage from wind will trigger some cameras when the sensitivity is set on "very high" or "high."
    Play with your settings to see what works best.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Yep, far likely means it's set at max sensitivity. Tweak her back halfway and you should be good.
    I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales

K guys, i went up tonight and adjusted the near/far setting to halfway.