Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear camo (fully)

Re: Do you wear camo (fully)

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947
    If someone was shooting at me and i did not get hit buy the bullet,,,,,,,,,, i would hit the ground and then yeal and if they contiued to shoot at me i would shoot a few shots at 12oc to let them no that i was there. hunter 1947.
    Well said hunter, being new to the sport this seems the best approach IMHO. I don't want to get shot, don't want to shoot nobody. My .02

i got full camo---boots,jacket,shit,sweat shirt,sweat pants,gloves,fanny pack thing

I wear timber green wool pants from WorkWear Word, a camo jacket with Yukon fleece lining and a camo hat. Also have the camo pants but their too damn warm if I'm hiking up & down hills.

Deer see their surroundings daily and know when things are out of place, wearing a bit of camo and keeping still doesn't hurt.

This thread was a big surprise for me as I often wonder who the heck is buying all this camo? It appears all of you are as very few responders don't wear it. The only time I worry about concealment in terms of colour is waterfowl hunting and then I just make sure I cover my face and wear earth tones. Brown Jacket and brown waders.

I don't own anything cammo and stalk right up on animals. I wear lots of polar fleace and wool and generally buy clothes in greys, greens, browns and blacks anyways but don't give colour much thought short of not wearing stark white in dark backgrounds. If I am hunting in areas where I am likely to see other hunters I have a blaze orange hat I throw on.

I find that sound, then movement then scent give you away in that order colour is somewhere near the bottom of the list in my book. Perhaps I never see the animals that smell me so i should be further up the list but who knows. I can see bow hunters looking for any advantage that it affords but in my exerience the advantages don't justify my buying dedicated cammo clothes for hunting.
    Always remember the rear end you kick today may be the one you need to kiss tomorrow.

Kids that hunt and fish don't grow up to rob little old ladies!

In our hunting group of 8 we all wear camo. We all have pants and jackets with Gortex and a quiet shell like sadle cloth that doesn't let anything stick to it like burrs. I am not sure the color of camo maters to the animals as they are supposed to be color blind but the breakup pattern seams to work. I know we can spot a hunter in the bush very easy with solid colors on and the ones in camo are much harder to spot.

Rainwater Guest

Your face is your worst enemy.

"Your face is your worst.......
    Speak for your self, I have the biggest doe eyes ever!
    Oh, to be young and single again

Quote Originally Posted by lcpaintballer
    All I did this year was road hunt with my neighbour, as soon as I pass the CORE crouse I am goint to be out walking around. I basically wear my camo whenever I go out with my rifle (to the range or hunting).

Does the type of camo really matter?
    Camo at the range? What might you be hiding from there?

Quote Originally Posted by wetcoasthunter
    Camo at the range? What might you be hiding from there?
    Everyone else.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Rainwater
    Your face is your worst enemy.
    No your wrong. My Dad always told me that my mouth was my worst enemy. Now I tell my Son the same thing.

I generally hunt where nodody else hunts so I'm not worried too much about other hunters. I used to wear a black fleece jacket, a blaze orange hat, and blue jeans when hunting. I've been spotted by deer and if I stood completly still without even blinking, they generally calmed down.

I always keep two of those cheap plastic poncos in my backpack. One is orange and the other is yellow. If it rains, I have one for me and a partner and if I think that other hunters are nearby I'll put one one. They roll up into very small packages in my backpack. I also carry a blaze orange hat for the same reason.

I started wearing camo this last hunting season. Mainly because I was looking for some new outdoor gear and I saw it on sale and figured why not? Almost everybody I know wears it so I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try.

I don't know if it helps or not, but when I got my deer this year I was standing in the open and my buck watched me for at least 5 minutes before he lowered his head and casually walked away. Someone mentioned that the deer see your body outline and that it's a foreign sight to deer. I agree with them and I always try to break my body outline with shrubs or trees. Of course, being my size, the shrubs and trees have to be pretty good size.

Overall I think it helps a bit. And I think the smell thing is mostly a marketing gimmick. After a couple of days in camp, I think we all smell like Sasquatches anyway. It's sound and movement that gives us away. John
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra