Thread: Best takedown recurve bow?

Best takedown recurve bow?

Greeting everyone
    I am hoping to get some advise from some of you guys who are expert in recurve bow hunting. I am a beginner and I am looking to buy a takedown recurve to hunt dear and small games mostly. What brand do you recommend?
    Is the made in BC Checkmate a good bow?
    I am 5'10 and fairly strong so I understand my draw lenght is 28/29..?? and draw weight 45/50lbs?
    I would like to buy a second hand bow with accessories so if any of you has one for sale or know someone that has one for sale, please let me know.
    Thank you for your help
    Philippe
    philippe999@shaw.ca
    250 935 0340

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best takedown recurve bow?

I have, and most of the guys that I hunt with have at least one Chek-Mate TD Hunter recurve bow. They are awesome bows at very good prices compared to equal quality US brands. There is one for sale right here on HBC too that comes with three sets of limbs - this is an EXCELLENT priced deal ($750 asking) given that each set of extra limbs would run you about $250! To buy this new would be about $1200. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37026

You could start shooting wit the 45 lb limbs then when your form and strength build move up to the 55 lb and then on to the 70lb limbs! I would even give you $100 for the 45lb limbs after you use them for a bit!!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Thank you Hermit for your recommendation, I will keep your offer in mind....!!
    Philippe

Best bow for the money . I suggest you look for a Take-Down Hunter 11 as the "Olympic Style " riser is more stable and forgiving to shoot. As you are quite strong and your height I suggest a bow of around 50-55lb pull .
    Last edited by greybark; 08-02-2009 at 03:04 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by Solterian View Post
    Thank you Hermit for your recommendation, I will keep your offer in mind....!!
    Philippe
    Sorry you misunderstood... it is not my bow that is for sale.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I shoot a Checkmate Hunter TD II- It is 62" with a 60# draw @ 29". Im not the best shooter in the world and I mostly like to shoot wood shafts, but I find this bow to be a smooth and accurate tool. Virtually no hand shock, and the draw weight isn't anything I find to be uncomfortable, even after a double round of 3-d shooting. I am also 5'10 with a medium frame build, I wouldn't say I was exceptionally strong but I have no problem handling this bow.I dont know anyone who has a Hunter TD for sale, but if a good used one comes up I would buy it as they seem to be rare. I paid $450 for mine, it had barely been used. It has Yew limbs and bubinga riser. If you live near me you are welcome to come over and I'll take you to the range so you can try it and see if you like it.

or go to tradtecharchery.com and buy a Samick take-down for around $200 , the reviews on stickbow.com and tradgang.com have been good.

Since you are a beginner concentrate on your form , release and consistentcy a 40# bow will do that for you better than a 50# . Plus a 40# bow is less likely to injure you . Archery is hard on your shoulders.

Thank you all for your comments and help. I understand The Checkmate Hunter TD II is a newer improve version of the Checkmate Hunter TD I ? and therefore perhaps a better bow for a beginner like me as suggested by greybark and Evolution ?
    Also I suppose the advantage of shooting a 60lbs over a 40lbs is that you can shoot the target from further away?
    Is there any other reason why a heavier weight is preferable?

My bow only shoots out to about 25 yards( and only at 3-d shoots), my buddy has a Hunter TD2 with "girlie limbs" of 40lbs ( he had shoulder surgery and cant draw his usual weight)and his shoots out to about 25 yards. To me the heavier weight only means more punch and maybe more speed, but when hunting with my bow I wont bother shooting out past 15-20yards. My 60# bow shoots light carbons pretty fast but requires a chunk of rope and a 175gr field point to get em flying right, but like I said I prefer to shoot woods of 550- 650 gr with a 65-70# spine. I think you should really put a few different bows in your hand before you decide on a weight. Most bow shops or even Fish and Game clubs have bows available for you to try.