Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: smoked samon???

Re: smoked samon???

Wayne, I have been on the pacific carouser. Little fiberglass Halibut boat right?

I have had old freezer burnt salmon brined and smoked and given to me and I was surprised how good it was.....

How about some of you guys posting your recipes for your brine or how ever you do your process that makes it so good.

I have a few nice 20 pounders in my freezer from August that need to be eaten in the next few months.....
    I am away April 27, 28, 29 and unable to respond to PM's
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Smile Re: smoked samon???

Quote Originally Posted by guntech
    I have had old freezer burnt salmon brined and smoked and given to me and I was surprised how good it was.....

How about some of you guys posting your recipes for your brine or how ever you do your process that makes it so good.

I have a few nice 20 pounders in my freezer from August that need to be eaten in the next few months.....
    Hear is one of my brins ,,,one cup of rock salt,,,4 cups of demerara sugar,,,one hafe cup of teriyaki sauce...6 garlic cloves choped up fine like salt,,,one have cup of red wine and one quarter cup of soyo sauce,,,,mix together good,,that is one of the brins i use. Put in tub then put first row facing up,,then cover with brine,,continue till all is in tub,,let set for 10hr,,take out then wash all the fish off,,put in smoker for 6 or 7 hr. hunter 1947.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Wayne, I have been on the pacific carouser. Little fiberglass Halibut boat right?
    Right ,,,Johnny petrie ownes the 36 foot boat,,,he use to be my best friend years ago,,but don't keep in touch much anymore. He gets Danny Burns to skipper it in the halibit season. Small world hear,,hunter 1947

until just recently i smoked salmon professionally, the most delicious smoked fish was the red springs because of the high oil content in them, the most commercialized was the sockeye. there was really no comparison in the flavour,the red spring by far was the tastier of all salmon i smoked,however because of the commercialized sockeye , it was the most expensive. I personally prefer the red spring, but when i smoke any fish i love it all..

Red springs do smoke very nicely. My grandfather made the best smoked salmon and that was his favorite to use. His sockeye was right up there as well.
    I havent eaten any since his last batch. It just isn't the same.
    I've always wanted to eat a steelhead, but have never bonked one, I think I love chasing them too much and there just isn't enough of them for me to justify taking one.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947
    Hear is one of my brins ,,,one cup of rock salt,,,4 cups of demerara sugar,,,one hafe cup of teriyaki sauce...6 garlic cloves choped up fine like salt,,,one have cup of red wine and one quarter cup of soyo sauce,,,,mix together good,,that is one of the brins i use. Put in tub then put first row facing up,,then cover with brine,,continue till all is in tub,,let set for 10hr,,take out then wash all the fish off,,put in smoker for 6 or 7 hr. hunter 1947.
    Thanks this sounds good... just a couple of questions...

Do you place the second row facing down?
    This works without any water added?
    How thick do you coat the fish with the "brine"?
    I am away April 27, 28, 29 and unable to respond to PM's
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

I think maybe we should add this brine recipie to the recipe forums Hunter 1947.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by guntech
    Thanks this sounds good... just a couple of questions...

Do you place the second row facing down?
    This works without any water added?
    How thick do you coat the fish with the "brine"?
    You face all towards 12oc with the skin towards 6oc,,,no water added. Cover each lare of the fish you put in your tub one quarter inch with your brine,,then put the next on top of the other,,keep doing this till you have them all done with the final lare covered with a quarter of an inch of brine.. hunter 1947.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    I think maybe we should add this brine recipie to the recipe forums Hunter 1947.
    Wear is this recipie forums Marc????. hunter 1947