Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep Caping

Re: Sheep Caping

A taxidermist recommended I buy a box of razor blades ($25) to cape out ears, lips etc. You get a 100 in a box, bring 10 with you on the hunt, You can buy the handle for $10. A razor is what i think he is using

RR

Carl
    He has developed his own little razor knife holder, slik little units, I have delt with him before and was thinking of getting a few of these to try out.
    With a little practice a razor is a great tool, but can easily cut many holes in thin ear skin.

A small exacto knife with few extra blades works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhnter View Post
    A small exacto knife with few extra blades works very well.
    The ears on sheep are actually very easily done with just your thumb for the most part. A knife is only required to start and get into the right layer, then to complete the final touches. Careful though it is possible to shove your thumb right through the ear.

Quote Originally Posted by willy442 View Post
    Careful though it is possible to shove your thumb right through the ear.
    Hopefully you're not speaking from experience...

Willie is right, once you carefully get past the ear butt you can get your thumb or finger in and slowly seperate the cartlage and ear skin towards the edge and tip. Don't push to hard and you don't have to get right to the very edge, anything under 1/4 inch is fine the salt will penatrate the rest and you won't blow out the ear.
    I have had them come in torn all the way around which is not much fun to work with but still better than having the slip.

oh man i cant wait
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

Willie is right, once you carefully get past the ear butt you can get your thumb or finger in and slowly seperate the cartlage and ear skin towards the edge and tip. Don't push to hard and you don't have to get right to the very edge, anything under 1/4 inch is fine the salt will penatrate the rest and you won't blow out the ear.
    I have had them come in torn all the way around which is not much fun to work with but still better than having the slip.
    Just take a plastic spoon, knife or fork and cut the business end off, smooth out the edges and round off the handle part making sure it's not too sharp or jagged. You then have a perfect tool to "pry" the ear skin from the cartilage and it won't cut into or thru the skin.. Carefully of course..Everyone has plastic knives or forks when your backpacking, right???
    Last edited by eastkoot; 07-28-2009 at 04:00 PM.
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

With the sheep count down on I thought it might be a good time to bring this post out again.
    Best of luck to all you sheep nuts

Great info guys and gals!
    Honey Holes! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that is all