Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep Caping

Sheep Caping

For all those heading up for the opening here are a couple pics of a stone sheep cape. If you bring this much cape out your taxidermist can put it on any shoulder form that is out there.
    Extra cape can be trimmed off but not added on. Also in the early season it is important to split the lips and turn the ears and salt as soon as possible to stop bacteria from making the cape slip.
    Two pounds of salt is plenty to get you out, but I would suggest that you have more salt at your drop off point, main camp or truck and resalt before making the trip home.

Hope everyone has a safe trip and Good Luck

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sheep Caping

Thanks WI. We have buried our capes in snow with good results. What's your thoughts on that as compared to salting? Especialy if a person is not really confident in getting the lips done right.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Thanks WI..appreciate the heads up post...sheesh only 20 hrs left before I leave but WHOS COUNTING....

steven

Can I quickly add:

This sounds simple, but.....get the blood out of the cape ASAP, and I mean all of it.

I ASSUMED that the remailing blood could come out at a later date, possibly with some kind of cleaning agent at the tanner so I did a pretty piss-poor job of getting all the blood out of my lightly colored sheep cape.....well, I wish I had stayed up until 4am cleaning it that first night, put it that way

Salt is the only way to stop the bacteria, keeping the cape cool will slow it but if you have to wait for a plane or a long hike out salt it your best bet.
    As for turning lips and ears practice is the key, i suggest to many people to do it on as many deer or what ever you can get your hands on. If a friend gets a small buck ask if you can have the head and cape it out.
    This practice will pay off in the long run with your sheep hunts and salted cape weighs a lot less than a wet one for the hike out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Images View Post
    Salt is the only way to stop the bacteria, keeping the cape cool will slow it but if you have to wait for a plane or a long hike out salt it your best bet.

Is there a prefered salt? Fine table salt ok?
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Thanks for the advice Wild Images pehaps I will try it out in a bit???

Does anyone have an idea on the market for a stones sheep cape? If a ram is shot that is not being head mounted I am curious as to whether or not it would be worth it to cape it out, tend to it and pack it home.

fine salt is best. go to Costco and pick up a 44 lb bag. they're around 5$.
    As for not mounting a stone, it is worth your while to cape it out and pack it back.

turning lips, ears, nose etc. isn't that difficult. people are intimidated to do it but if you take your time and preferably get some practice prior to your trip it's doable. small cuts are easier to repair than hair slippage from not salting.

Anouther good place to pick up salt is at your local feed store, farmers buy it to put on feed and damp hay. It is finer than table salt and is in bulk, I pick up 100 kg at a time for about $30.
    Sheep capes are well worth packing out, will pay for your trip no problem !

I did what mainland hunter suggested and bought 44lbs from costco and it was $4.99 I think a few months ago. I'm pretty confident in doing the lips and nose, we'll see how the ears go! Tiny cuts, take my time, keep the cape cool and salt the shit out of it. Now I need the ram!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i46-o...eature=related

This youtube video was helpful and he has a few more in the sidebar for the lips, nose and eyes. I am sure everyone may have a little different technique but this guy has some really good detail in his closeups.

What is that little knife he is using? Boxcutter?

Carl