Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Raft drifts for hunting?

Re: Raft drifts for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
    Not uncommon to see goats downriver. There are about 6 different spots you may see them. On Sunday we were downriver, just prior to entering the canyon where the s-curve and the whirlpool are, and there were 3 of them right at the waters edge. How busy was it farther down? We only went as far as the Gwillim. I couldn't believe the number of vehicles at the launch. I've never seen it like that in 8 years of boating this river. Most must have went up to the falls as we only seen 4 boats downriver. How was "the shelf"?
    One river boat went a short distance down river and came back. We saw a couple of guys in a canoe but they didn't catch up to us. When we were packing camp a lone canoeist stopped in to say hi. That was it. Lower river was all quiet...

The shelf was fine. My buddy took a big roller there. He blocked for me haha. I deliberately hit everything I could because I need some experience.

We never saw a single moose track in the whole drift.

[quote=boonerbuck;490793]One river boat went a short distance down river and came back. We saw a couple of guys in a canoe but they didn't catch up to us. When we were packing camp a lone canoeist stopped in to say hi. That was it. Lower river was all quiet...

The shelf was fine. My buddy took a big roller there. He blocked for me haha. I deliberately hit everything I could because I need some experience.

We never saw a single moose track in the whole drift.[/quote]

We don't generally see lots of moose along the river once calving season is over. When the cows are having their calves, they come to the water, especially any islands. After that we generally only see elk, bears, goats, etc, though we do see the odd moose. I guess they are all at the highway right now teasing hunters prior to opening day. On a recent trip home one night ( late ), we saw 13 moose within 1/2 hr of driving. There were tracks right on the boat launch about a week ago .
    When I shut my mouth and walk away, it doesn't mean you've won......it simply means your stupid a$$ isn't worth any more of my time!

Quote Originally Posted by boonerbuck View Post

I filmed them the other day, but after watching it the quality isn't worth posting. Too bouncy where we were on the boat. Hard to tell exactly where that was, but they are open on LEH on the left hand side going downriver from about where Meikle creek enters the river. I heard you mention that you have never seen goats that low before. Two years ago at about 5 AM, I was leaving town heading out elk hunting. As I went by the "welcome to TR" sign by the riding stables ( which are just as you're leaving town ), I caught a glimpse of something. My first thought was "wolf" as I had seen that it was white. As it crossed the road no more than 20 feet in front of my truck, I realized it was a goat. Now THAT was a surprise.
    When I shut my mouth and walk away, it doesn't mean you've won......it simply means your stupid a$$ isn't worth any more of my time!

I wouldnt be surprised seeing them on a river at the base of some big mountains or something but you look around and there is no alpine nearby. On top of a lot of those cliffs it's flat.

Nice Vid boonerbuck, I saw a goat this weekend in a spot I thought to be a little strange as well. Not any real mountains around just one little rock face above a lake and him right in the middle.

Here it is. Some good info

Then take a look at some of the packraft pages for rivers like the Turnagain, Gataga , Crooked,
    https://vimeo.com/32702618
    http://www.liardtours.com/canoe#canoeing-3

Have fun! )

not sure where this one is, but looks fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0X78tIzThg
    Last edited by boxhitch; 05-13-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

bike/rafting Sacred Headwaters
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mACi-txocKw
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

10 year old thread!