Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rhino liner on boat

Re: rhino liner on boat

thanx for the info shooter

I have seen jetboats from Customweld that came covered with Rhinoliner or the equivalent from the factory. It was on the sides, gunnels, and interior, but not the bottom. I would think that it would bite on to rocks on the bottom. I would look into the John Deere bucket paint. They use it for tractor/ HD machinery buckets. It is a graphite paint or something and makes your bottom slick as shit. It is durable and hard, and if applied in a few coats will probably protect your bottom for the year, and then you can redo it at the end of the year.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

We put an Endura non skid as mentioned on Gunwhales, and fore and aft decks on our boats but also never on the bottom. Hemple makes a pretty neat looking product out there called Hempasil. It is designed for the bottom of a boat and is a silicon based antifouling paint. Our company has looked into it a bit and I know that some large freight companies use it and report great fuel savings also. It is said to double the lifespan of traditional antifoulings and the samples I have seen appear to be very very durable. I havent used the product but thought I would mention it. I am sure it is not overly cheap but appears to be a great product. Nothing sticks to it. Not even tape.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

I have applied both Hempel and International Paints silicon based antifouling products.

One problem with those silicon based antifouling products is that nothing sticks to it well once it is cured...not even itself. It doesn't lend itself well for repairs.

If your boat is put on blocks for coating the hull there will be areas that need to be touched up...again not an easy task.

The boat or vessel also needs to be in motion on a regular basis or you will have barnacles, mussels, and all the other nasty stuff start growing on the hull that will not come off easily.

They may have improved their formulations since it was a few years ago that I used them.
    Last edited by Bpower; 07-18-2009 at 04:02 PM.

As Shooter mentioned, good preparation is of utmost importance. If your coating does not bond well you will have sheets of paint coming off in the water.

You might even want to go with a coarser grit of sandpaper for preparation. I have used 36 grit paper with good results. Also make sure you are using a proper random orbital sander not just a cheap electric palm sander for woodwork.

Another option is sandblasting the hull, glass abrasive works well but is quite dusty.

I saw a newer dodge truck covered in VORTEX liner today. It looked kinda cool, and the stuff is waterproof and tough. They sprayed the inside of a cardboard box and it held water...You coudl through rocks at the truck and they just bounced off.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

morleystw Guest

friend of mine did the inside of his 12 ft alum boat at line-X,worked great,good traction and seals everything!!