Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rhino liner on boat

rhino liner on boat

just wondering if anybody has used rhino liner on the outside of their boat below the water line.i was thinking about doing the whole bottom of my boat.i want to make the bottom more durable for beaching it ,and to seal a couple of small leaks along the keel.ps it is aluminum
    Last edited by sparkes3; 07-17-2009 at 11:15 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: rhino liner on boat

What purpose are you trying to accomplish doing that? Are you just trying to make your boat more durable or are you trying to use it as an antifouling paint?
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

if your putting it on a aluminum boat you may have a real tough time getting it to adhear

It's heavy and rough. You'll lose a lot of speed unless ya got big power. K

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    It's heavy and rough. You'll lose a lot of speed unless ya got big power. K
    actually Rhino Guard can be applied to any metal surface with the proper pre-application preparation , as for the rough texture, that is also part of the application process , the product can be applied with a mirror like smooth Glossy finish or a coarse texture to provide traction, choice of the customer

How tough it is ???, well you cannot perforate 1/16 layer of properly applied rhino with a sledge hammer no matter how hard you pound on it, oil, caustic and cold minus-40 celcius wont make it breakable or brittle,

for example huge stainless steel impellers from Municipal sewage treatment plants when coated with Rhino guard last 3 times as long as untreated stainless steel impellers,,,

an 8 foot pick up box coated with Rhino about 3/16 thick will take about 25/30 pounds of product,,, thats 25/30 lbs added to the weight of the pick-up truck,,,
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Well getting it to stick wont be that tough just put some proper primers under it. If you want some different products that will work underneath shoot me a pm and I can give you some product names and proper prepping techniques. However that being said I don't thing rhino lining is best suited for the bottom of a boat. Definately would be tough but there are many many tough products out there. Probably about 3-4 coats of Endura Ultra Grip primer would suit your purpose well. Not as tough as Rhino Lining but pretty tough stuff and is easy to repair/recoat if damage occurs. And will stick to properly prepped aluminum.

i dont know much about the rino gaurd itself but cleaning the aluminum good enough to get a good bond of sealer on a old boat might be a real tough process

Sand it with 80 grit on an orbital sander and use appropriate primer and it will be all good. The key is to sand it REAL good, not just a light scuff. Then it needs to be coated within 3 hours for optimum adhesion as aluminum begins to oxidize very quickly.

shooter i have a jet boat seems wheir the seems are i had a hell off a time cleaning it good enough for the primer to bight its on there but after awhile it flakes off

Anywhere where there are seams you will need to get in there with your fingers. The same sandpaper that is used on the orbital (sticky one side) works best. Just fold the paper over on itself and it makes it a little stiffer and gives it a nice hard straight edge to run along the seam. Again the aluminum needs to be WELL sanded not a light scuff. Also if there is a seam you need to ensure there is no moisture hiding in there. Blow it very liberally with some compressed air to make sure none come out. What primer did you put on your jet boat and what was the prep proceedure? One last but very important point to note is cleaning before painting. Regular wax and grease removers that are used before painting aren't really recommended for cleaning bare aluminum as they tend to leave a slight film behind. A simple acetone works well as it completely evaporates. Chances are the surface will need to be wiped about 3-4 times prior to coating to really be clean enough. When cleaning also be sure to use 2 rags. One to wipe on wet and the other to dry. Do not the cleaner dry on its own or it just deposits the impurities back on the surface.
    Last edited by Shooter; 07-18-2009 at 12:46 AM.