Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Candied Salmon

Re: Candied Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by 6 K View Post
    Great job Jb, looks very nummy.
    I use tobasco in mine as well and is liked by most people who try it.
    The Guy who taught me to smoke fish told me never to use anything metal with the brine. Not the mixing bowl or even a stiring spoon. Just curious if you or anyone else may have heard that or not. Regardless your photos make me want to start a batch now.:smile:
    Absolutely, never ever use metal to brine fish. The salts have a reaction with the metal, and give the meat a "tinny" taste. Only use plastic, glass, etc. I usually buy tupperware or rubbermaid containers to brine it. Pyrex also works well if you have a large enough set.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Quote Originally Posted by Roots View Post
    That looks so good.... I will have to try this!

Oh, I just noticed that you and I have the same spice rack....hahaha
    X2 i will have to try for sure
    will it work with frozen salmon?

Quote Originally Posted by JRG94 View Post
    X2 i will have to try for sure
    will it work with frozen salmon?
    Salmon can be previous frozen, but it has to be fully thawed to marinade/brine before smoking.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Quote Originally Posted by 6 K View Post
    Great job Jb, looks very nummy.
    I use tobasco in mine as well and is liked by most people who try it.
    The Guy who taught me to smoke fish told me never to use anything metal with the brine. Not the mixing bowl or even a stiring spoon. Just curious if you or anyone else may have heard that or not. Regardless your photos make me want to start a batch now.
    Thanks 6K. I hear you on the brine container. I had to use this stainless pot for this batch as the wife threw out all my big rubbermaid containers over the winter when we renovated the kitchen. This was the first time I have brined fish in a pot and I haven't noticed any tinny taste(it's already half gone). Makes sense about the salt reacting with the metal though. Thanks for bringing that up.

Bought some pure maple sugar at a fruit stand in Keremeos this summer. I put that on just before turning up the heat to finish it off. it made almost like a candy shell on the salmon. worked out perfect.

Looks great. Thanks for posting the pics.
    Shoot first, answer questions later.

regarding frozen fish......smoking, candy, jerky.....best was to get rid of the not so new stuff......

O'Doul's.....your killin me.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

awesome pic's. bought a new digital bradley last week, and did my first ever batch of smoked salmon. turned out pretty good in my opinion. going to have to revisit my plans on leaving the fish frozen whole until i smoke though!.... definatly need another set of racks too!

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    O'Doul's.....your killin me.
    Why? You want one? They sell em in Grocery stores you know.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_brady View Post
    awesome pic's. bought a new digital bradley last week, and did my first ever batch of smoked salmon. turned out pretty good in my opinion. going to have to revisit my plans on leaving the fish frozen whole until i smoke though!.... definatly need another set of racks too!
    Congrats on the Bradley sir_brady! I turn out way better smoked product with the Bradley and it is worth every cent.

Oh yeah I did a little research about using stainless steel pots for brining (which I had to do this time) and it is a common item used in brining salmon etc. as well as plastic and (I agree the best) glass containers.
    Last edited by Johnnybear; 10-19-2009 at 11:49 PM.