Thread: Hot Mustard!!!!!

Hot Mustard!!!!!

Ok as a fan of hot food's and condiments I would like to know what your favorite HOT mustard is. I am not talking about the playschool hot mustard's like Keens hot, I meen like deli hot or if you have a good recipe for making Hot mustard.

Here is a link
    One of my favorite is Babci Extra Hot Mustard "Piekielna"
    http://www.eff.ca/featured_products.html

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hot Mustard!!!!!

I grew up eating Polish mustard, and this is pretty good stuff...

I've never been able to eat the other yellow goo that people call mustard....

Oh by the way... 'Babci' means "Grandma's" and '
    Piekielna' means "Hellish", derived from the word 'Piekło' which means "Hell"

There are many varieties of mustard which come in a wide range of strengths and flavors. The basic taste and "heat" of the mustard is largely determined by seed type, preparation and ingredients. Black seeded mustard is generally regarded as the hottest type. Preparation also plays a key role in the final outcome of the mustard. Mustard, in its powdered form, lacks any potency and needs to be fixed; it is the production of allylisothiocyanate from the reaction of myrosinase and sinigrin during soaking that causes gustatory heat to emerge. One of the factors that determines the strength of a prepared mustard is the temperature of the water, vinegar, or other liquid mixed with the ground seeds: hotter liquids are more hostile to the strength-producing compounds. Thus, hot mustard is made with cold water, while using hot water results in milder mustard (other factors remaining the same.)
    The pungency of mustard is always reduced by heating, not just at the time of preparation; if added to a dish during cooking much of the effect of the mustard is lost.
    Locations renowned for their mustard include Dijon (medium strength) and Meaux in France; Norwich (very hot) and Tewkesbury famed for its variety, in the United Kingdom and Dusseldorf (hot) and Bavaria in Germany. There are variations in the subsidiary spices and in the preparation of the mustard seeds. The husks may be ground with the seeds, or winnowed away after the initial crushing; "whole-grain mustard" retains some unground or partially ground mustard seeds. 'Bavarian" sweet mustard" contains very little acid, substituting copious amounts of sugar for preservation. Sometimes prepared mustard is simmered to moderate its bite, sometimes it is aged. Irish mustard is a wholegrain type blended with whiskey and/or honey.

Now that little bit of information being shared - I am of german/spanish heritage and Peter is danish and coming from families where mustard is a huge staple in the european background - I make home made mustards very hot for those who can take it and make mild for those who were not brought up with the boldness of a good mustard.

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

Would you like to post your recipe Alison?

I make a wicked, make the guy beside you sweat mustard with Keens. Dry mix a one to one ratio of dry mustard and icing sugar together and add about a teaspoon of tumeric. Then boil a kettle and add the smallest amount of hot water to the mixture, just drops at a time, until you can make a paste out of it. Add about a half to three quarters tea spoon of white vinegar and stir that in. Cover and let sit for at least a few hours to start getting some heat out of it. Refridgerate when not in use. It will thicken when refridgerated so to re-activate it just add a few drops of boiling water. Ever had the kind of horse radish that you would swear is blowing the back of your head off? Yeah, this can do the same thing. To make it less wicked tame it down with more icing sugar. Makes the best hot/sweet mustard you can get.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!

let's hear your recipe Alison, I appreciate a good mustard.
    " Many a child travels this high to be different, trying to get something from the mountain that nature couldn't give him down below"

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBYMAG View Post
    Would you like to post your recipe Alison?

I usually hit the health food stores or china town for mustard seeds ( i prefer to buy brown mustard seeds)

depending on the pungency your prefer and flavour of mustard and texture I sometimes soak the seeds for about 30 minutes to lossen the outside husk and peel it away ( a light rub with your fingers does the trick) now you could let them redry husk free and then crush them into a fine powder and rehydrate with droplets of coldwater and a vinegar to your desired heat and flavour or crush them moist depending on the amount of mustard you plan on making.

I prefer to crush the seeds into a powder with the husk on as this saves a little more of the flavours and potency of the seeds and then I can make the amount of mustard I want per serving of meals. I add a little coldwater at a time to make the right paste consistency and also add some tumeric and rice vinegar to add some tangy zest. Keep it sealed in an airtight jar or container of some kind and the potency of the mustard will not lessen. With this you can make a honey mustard with a kick adding some organic honey to the mix.

if cooking with mustard remember it loses its potency in heat so just before the cooking cycle of your recipe ends add a little mustard powder to kick it up a notch

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I make a wicked, make the guy beside you sweat mustard with Keens. Dry mix a one to one ratio of dry mustard and icing sugar together and add about a teaspoon of tumeric. Then boil a kettle and add the smallest amount of hot water to the mixture, just drops at a time, until you can make a paste out of it. Add about a half to three quarters tea spoon of white vinegar and stir that in. Cover and let sit for at least a few hours to start getting some heat out of it. Refridgerate when not in use. It will thicken when refridgerated so to re-activate it just add a few drops of boiling water. Ever had the kind of horse radish that you would swear is blowing the back of your head off? Yeah, this can do the same thing. To make it less wicked tame it down with more icing sugar. Makes the best hot/sweet mustard you can get.
    That sounds like it's right up my alley. Gotta give that a try.
    Catapultam habeo.

If your into Hot Mustard, my wife buys this stuff called matooks. This stuff is insanely hot and has a very unique flavor.