Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found this in a rainbow, Anyone know what it is?

Re: Found this in a rainbow, Anyone know what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybear View Post
    Exactly. If it is a tag of sorts report it to the proper folks. I'm just learning about the American fish programs and some of them are impressive to say the least. Wish some of that money could be used up here.

Ya I also herd that the money getting spent in the rosevelt lake program would make your head spin. I do not know what the exact sum is but I herd it is in the multi millions

looks like a chip, i tagged hundreds of sturgeon on the fraser river and it looks very similar, although the ones i have used were clear glass with the wiring inside.
    like DBM said, once the fish were injected with these we would record length, girth and km mark on the fraser river where it was caught. all the chip contained was a number and when the scanner was passed over the fish the number would come up if it was a tagged fish. When i left the program i think there were a dozen boats with the scanners and chips.
    we had a re-cap ( a fish already tagged) in the lower fraser around port mann bridge that was tagged 5 days before in Hope. we had lots of re-caps so we knew the program was working.

Have the MIB shown up at your door yet?
    "Don't believe everything you think."

Quote Originally Posted by islandboy View Post
    Have the MIB shown up at your door yet?
    Ya they did, but I don,t remember anything now.

I can't believe you actually caught a fish
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    I can't believe you actually caught a fish
    Hey now mr Brables be nice.

The fishing was sweet, we caught 2 fish the first night and 14 the second I have never seen it so good.

Its definetly a pit tag, bring it in to your local co, he should know of any studies being done in the waterways you caught the fish in. Be somewhat careful with it as they are a thin glass shell arround the encoded wire, we use scanners to read them, and once they are crushed they are no longer scannable.

Good find!
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

PIT tag. "Passive Integrated Transponder"

You should probably run it down to the MoE office. Who knows what kind of study they're doing. Usually it's to determine where and when fish are moving where. They can be scanned by small hand scanners.

Brenden, coded wire tags and PIT tags are not usually used in the same fish.

Good thing you didn't swallow it. Who knows what kind of data you would have produced for their studies?
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910