Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleaning trout...how quick does it need to be done?

Re: Cleaning trout...how quick does it need to be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Ddog View Post
    wolverine,,once again missed the question,,,

question is. Is there a suggested or required cleaning time limit for fish(lake trout) that anyone can help us with for next time?

obviously the quicker the better, we all know this, but if the fish was iced and cooled it would be fine the next morning, there would be no taste difference.

Yeah, Ddog I get it. That doesn't change the fact that I differ from the opinion that leaving the guts and gills in it and putting on ice over night isn't going to change the taste of it. The question was suggested or required time for cleaning. If you don't mind eating something that could have been much better leave it as long as you want. If you want it as fresh and clean tasting as possible do it right away. When I guided fish in Campbell River there was never a fish in my boat that had a head and guts in it unless it was bait. I guess my astonishment at the question is why it needed to be asked at all. But each to his own. I know Englishmen that hang ducks by the neck until they fall before they say they are ready to eat too. Judus Priest! Can you friggin imagine..
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!

Commercial caught salmon are kept in slushed ice for up to 5 to 7 days at times whole with no problem to quality. The temp is between 1-2 C ,not frozen but as always the sooner the better if you can

Quote Originally Posted by RYY View Post
    Hello all,
    My son and daughter were in a local fishing derby over the weekend and the question got raised as to the already caught fish. My daughter caught her fish after the offical scales had closed for the night. My question is once caught, killed and put in the fridge, how long do we have before the meat spoils? I know with my limited experience hunting big game, feild dressing is done ASAP. Is there a suggested or required cleaning time limit for fish(lake trout) that anyone can help us with for next time?

Thank you
    RYY
    Since the fish was caught after the weigh in closed for the night, the fish was likely no longer qualified for entry, even the next day. In which case, you clean it ASAP.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

You don't clean derby fish until after the weigh in. Put them on iceright after they are caught and head for the scales.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Yeah, and you don't bonk derby fish either. It's a real biatch to see two or three ounces of blood in the bottom of the tub that could have been left in the fish and I've seen major derbies won and lost by ounces, not pounds.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!

Thank you all for the info. Most all of it is useful for my future adventures

RYY

i just clean them as soon and i get them out of the water then stick a stick through them and leave them in the water
    I'm a lead foot, whiskey drinkin' outlaw.