Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: question?

Re: question?

thanks for the info guys, thats pretty much what i figured, sure is hard to let a beauty go at that close range though.
    Mark, that's what keeps you going back there.

JT

Hey Mark , Good call and good on you.!!!!!!!

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Mark---- gotta tell ya this got me thinking. I think it would depend on how late in the season and how full or empty the freezer. I would like to give the ethically right answer but I don't know that I wouldn't take the shot, especially in the bow season and being as accurate as you are at 20 yards. Nope I think I would take the shot, low in the neck. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

An arrow in the neck of a deer is instantly deadly
    If you meant instantly dead, I disagree. I've inadvertently spined 2 deer. On one my foot slipped as I shot and to this day I still can't figure out what happened on the second one. Both took the buck right below the head and severed the spinal chord. Needless to say, they dropped like rocks but both were still alive and needed a second arrow to quickly finish them off. I hate the shot, and would rather have "tag soup" than purposely take it... and yes, I have let end of season animals walk because the shot wasn't there.

Good on ya Mark for letting it go.

RC

Hey Old Timer , With all due respect to you whether my deep freezer was empty and it was the end of the season I still would not take that shot. When one really thinks about this senario the empty deep freezer and the end of the season has nothing to do in regards to the poor choice frontal shot.
    Next year you and Willie are invited to the Rendell Ck Dinner and so great WT hunting in Rock Ck - Keep in touch Mike.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Mark. I commend you for not shooting at the neck. I would suggest you take the IBEP (International Bowhunters Education Program) course. It is good for people new to archery as well as old hands. You can always learn a lot of new things.

Reading the discussion around neck shots I have to add in here that at no time have I ever considered a shot to the neck "an archery shot". No way. And in my opinion, it is not an ethical shot.

Show me a bowhunting course, a 3D archery target or anywhere that might remotely suggest that a neck shot should be considered.

Not even when the freezer's empty.

JT

Greybark-------- Thanks for the invite and looking forward to it. I promise no neck shots. Keep us posted on the dates please
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffcity
    If you meant instantly dead, I disagree. I've inadvertently spined 2 deer. On one my foot slipped as I shot and to this day I still can't figure out what happened on the second one. Both took the buck right below the head and severed the spinal chord. Needless to say, they dropped like rocks but both were still alive and needed a second arrow to quickly finish them off. I hate the shot, and would rather have "tag soup" than purposely take it... and yes, I have let end of season animals walk because the shot wasn't there.

Good on ya Mark for letting it go.

RC
    You know I have heard it said a few times before that hunters think the animal "still is alive" after they shot it because it still moved. Not only I am a bow hunter for more than 10 years I am also a trained Master Butcher and let me tell you the truth. If you hit an animal in the brain or cut its spinal cord, or shoot trough the lungs and the heart the animal is DEAD. But it will move for up to 10 minutes or sometimes even longer but these are only the nerves. I never shot an animal twice I just wait till they stop kicking and twitching. Belive me there is no need to make the animal more dead then it already is, dead is dead. At the same token some hunters think if an animal runs after a shot for a while that they made a bad shot but it is the same as outlined above they are dead they just don't know it yet.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I think he's talking about the animal still breathing just paralized so he can't get up to run away.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF