Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kwatna 2009

Kwatna 2009

Well Dave has done a masterful job on his account of Kwatna 2009...we saw so much beautiful once in a life for them..lol but what I have seen for 30 years.. the beauty will never be forgotton from white sided dolphins..to world class grizzlies and goats..

The tidal flats were alive with sea otters, black bears, grizzlies..sows cubs and BIG BOARS..it sorta reminded me of the game "whack a mole" you just never knew what would stick its head up from the long tidal grasses.....even a dozen eagles taking turns feeding on the carcass of Robs bear...

This hunt is a logistical nightmare requiring more than month to get sorted out....and a TON of supplies literally..as well as knowing what to do and when...

I have kept the words short and decided to go with some of my photos..NOT taken with a good camera unfortunatly...

although not Daves #1 choice I still feel for the NORMAL grizzly hunting these jet boats are unbeatable..a electric outboard would have helped
    Last edited by srupp; 06-26-2009 at 09:30 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kwatna 2009

you can see some of the gear needed to make camp on shore !!! as well as the 26 foot camp boat AND the jet boat WHEW!!!!

The food was great elk steaks, moose, German dinner sausage, Italian spicey breakfast sausage..oh ya Daves favorites..Fred Flintstone sandwiches!!!

when it RAINED man it POURED and EVERYBODY and EVERYTHING got wet wet wet there IS a reason its called the WET COAST..

here are some photos of the beautiful scenery...

some of these show the edges of Graveyard Island..made famous by Clayton Macks..'Sasquatches of Graveyard Island..

This one shows the very tree that my twin brother and I tied our boat up to some 25 years ago..

also one shows the general area Tim got his bear..
    Last edited by srupp; 06-26-2009 at 09:46 PM.

and one of the side results is a very beautiful grizzly for Rob...

Dave showed real sportsmanship and passed on many a bear most would have pulled the pin on....he not only showed courage but class and sportsmanship and a true trophy hunter

I enjoyed the trip and watching Dave and Rob swim the river track down the bears, get muddy, dirty and alll the while with a shit eating grin going fom ear to ear..

I was there for the fishing and to make some suggestions to help them make it home in one piece...which Dave did when he and I went sheep hunting the year before..

words can never describe this trip..maybe the photos will start to..????

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 06-26-2009 at 09:46 PM.

.284 is offline You`ll shoot your eye out

Brings back memories of lovely floating logging camps and horse flys that would carry you away
    looks like a good trip for you guys though

some of the bears we were able to get VERY CLOSE TO..say 70 yards or less...but didnt meet the high standards Dave set but fun and great to get close to..

steven

Great story Steven, I'm so full of envy, but will have to admire the pictures and dream!!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

UUMMH. I can smell that kind of dead crab odor from the tidal flats. Awesome!
    Great photos! Could you get me within 35 yards without getting both of us killed??
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Ambush..probably one of the "few " places this could be done...and YES safetly..

Interestingly I met a gentleman who had a different 'coastal draw LEH for Grizzlies..just south of here and he was in @ the same time as Rob and Dave...I listened to his account of his 12 day trip/hunt and "how" he and his hunting partner went about trying to find a bear..well they saw NO bears at all and I KNOW there are just as many bears there as in K bay..he just plain didnt know HOW to hunt grizzlies at all..Dave had bought a book on the grizzlies of THAT area and every night he read a chapter from the book..I laughed because Clayton and I had discussed that area a few times..

There is one area IN LAND that getting withing 35 yards is possible...but not many know where that is or how to do it ...I had coffee this AM with someone that knows that area pretty damn well also..lol

Again getting w/i 35 yards IS very doable..my first thought a SLIVER SLINGER..???

Yes the smell of salt air and coastal crabs also comes to mind from viewing these photos..

I just wish I hadnt screwed up Daves video of the kill shot on Robs bear..I was back a 100 yards from those two..camera on a tripod ROCK STEADY..AND perfectly focussed and zoomed right in..heard the shot and seen the water fly off the bears hide..the bears recoil from the bullet and EVEN the blood fly out the offside.. from the exit hole...just didnt know Daves camera well enough..another regret is I didnt take the Nikon d-200 digital camera with 300 lens...would have mad ethe pictures so MUCH better..these photos were done with a pocket digital..Olympus Stylus 500..only because its small and waterproof..but hopefully it gets the beauty and solitude accross...

Steven