Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ROULADIN!!! recipie and step by step pics!!

Re: ROULADIN!!! recipie and step by step pics!!

Huntwriter, Ich habe gedacht, dass Sie deutsch waren!! Sorry my German is somewhat archaic as is my spelling! Its been far to long since anyone in my family has spoken or used German on any sort of regular basis, and I have to put ALOT of thought into typing anything as well....especialy in German, so sorry bout the spelling!

Rouladen it is! All fixed up!
    Last edited by SHACK; 07-07-2009 at 09:11 AM.
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

They sell beef rouladin at the Swiss restaurant at Harrison Hot Springs. I had it last week. It was just OK as I found the meat a little stringy.

Am gonna try this with some game later this summer.
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

Ah German Made Rouladin! Thats the way its done! None of this just a pickle thing...My aunt was just talking about those with me this last weekend! (Were all from Germany) Love the Instructions.

i am sending my old lady to come see you to teach her how to cook.lol.nice work
    majorguns

i live in sidney, on the island.. wish i lived in the bush :S

wow, that looks delicious! lol and ive never even heard of "rouladin"... (sorry.. latin family here :P ) so rouladin is the cut? or the name of the dish? if i just go up to the butcher and ask for some rouladin cuts, he'll know what im talking about?? i definitely want to try this.. although i dont think ive had pickles and meat together in one meal aside from hamburgers :S
    look ma!! no hands!! cookies anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by budismyhorse View Post
    You couldn't resist that typo......

I haven't had this since I was a kid....will try this week. Thanks for posting!
    Since this is a uniquely German, Austrian and Swiss dish I thought I spell it in German.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 07-14-2009 at 08:03 PM.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by SHACK View Post
    Huntwriter, Ich habe gedacht, dass Sie deutsch waren!! Sorry my German is somewhat archaic as is my spelling! Its been far to long since anyone in my family has spoken or used German on any sort of regular basis, and I have to put ALOT of thought into typing anything as well....especialy in German, so sorry bout the spelling!

Rouladen it is! All fixed up!
    I am not a German, I am a Swiss from the German speaking part of that country. Or the "proper" Swiss as they say.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by nieves View Post
    wow, that looks delicious! lol and ive never even heard of "rouladin"... (sorry.. latin family here :P ) so rouladin is the cut? or the name of the dish? if i just go up to the butcher and ask for some rouladin cuts, he'll know what im talking about?? i definitely want to try this.. although i dont think ive had pickles and meat together in one meal aside from hamburgers :S
    Rouladen, or Rouladin as the English speaking say, is a dish. The best cut to use for this dish is the inside round of beef. To get it perfect the muscle is slightly frozen just hard enough to make it a bit solid but not hard. The semi frozen meat is then cut very, very thin on the cold cut machine. The slices have to be cut so thin that you almost can see through them. It also has to be cut against the muscle grain. If it is cut to thick or with the muscle grain the meat will become stingy and though. This is very likely what has happened with the experience David Heitsman had at the Swiss restaurant in Harrison Hot Springs.

Unless you explain excatly to the butchers how you want it cut you will not get it done right as meat store butchers have no clue how to do it. Come to think of it many store meat cutters have no clue about other meat cuts and preparation either. Go to a real butcher shop and you maybe get it done right.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 07-14-2009 at 08:05 PM.

aah ok, cool thanks for the info .. ill be trying this in the next couple of days and ill let you know how it comes out :P

ok well i just made this today and its absolutely delish thanks for the recipe and for explaining too :P although my gravy turned out redder than the pics.. (i might've let slip a lot of wine ) thanks again!