Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ROULADIN!!! recipie and step by step pics!!

Re: ROULADIN!!! recipie and step by step pics!!

Thanks Shack, Rouladin is my favorite meal, My Oma makes it for me often. We have it with onions, mushrooms, and bacon inside. I am going to try your recipe out.
    "Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting."
    -Goat Guy. Dec 3/09.

I think my cholesterol went up ten points just looking at the pictures.
    WOW! does that look good, You should get a ten day ban for posting that durring sheep training season though.
    CARNIVOROUS MAXIMUS

Look's awesome Shack!! Can a person "pound" a steak or cuts from a roast into suitable rouladin?? My wife has always just cooked it in the oven, but browning it first sounds WAY better!
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Absolutely ambush, this is just how we do it and its totaly up to interpretation, I tenderize my cuts as well, just makes em a little larger and easier to wrap up.

Sorry 6 K, I dont get to go sheep hunting this year....so I am getting ready for winter like a bear!

Pupper, you better give your Oma lots of love, mine passed 25 years ago, and my Opa one year and one day later! I miss her and the wonderfull cooking!
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by SHACK View Post
    Sorry 6 K, I dont get to go sheep hunting this year....so I am getting ready for winter like a bear!
    Good one!
    CARNIVOROUS MAXIMUS

That's very similar to the way my mother showed me. Her trick was to always add some of the pickle juice to the simmering broth to give it a bit more zip. The red cabbage was always a Christmas treat (made from scratch) but the jarred stuff was also used and sometimes it was even "stretched" by adding a head of raw cabbage then cooked down together. My only complaint is that my wife likes it so much that it has become more of a regular meal than the 'special occasion treat' it once was. Dare we tell the sheep hunters about "schpeck kuchen"?....sorry if the spelling is off, I'm 1st gen. CDN und mine deutsch ist nicht sehr gut.

That's a great recipe Shack. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to post the pic's. My Fathers side of the family is German and we have our traditional recipes as well and like to have them once in a while for treats just like you say. My dad has some German sausage patties that he cooks up every Christmas.

that looks real good. Definatley ging to have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by SHACK View Post
    Hey, your barking up the wrong tree PGK, Ich kann spreche sehr gutes Deutsch, und meine Familie ist von Nuremberg.
    Everyone has thier own twist on things, this is ours, your welcome to post up your Rouladin recipie, and I will give it a shot as well!
    Das ist ein sehr gutes Rezept und genauso wie es meine Mutter auch machte. Hat immer prima geschmaeckt.

You're right. The beauty of cooking is that you can alter everything to your taste and liking. There are hundreds of different recipes in Germany, Austria and Switzerland where meat "Rouladen" originated.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter View Post
    Das ist ein sehr gutes Rezept und genauso wie es meine Mutter auch machte. Hat immer prima geschmaeckt.

You're right. The beauty of cooking is that you can alter everything to your taste and liking. There are hundreds of different recipes in Germany, Austria and Switzerland where meat "Rouladen" originated.
    You couldn't resist that typo......

I haven't had this since I was a kid....will try this week. Thanks for posting!