Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ROULADIN!!! recipie and step by step pics!!

ROULADEN!!! recipie and step by step pics!!

Ok, I have been asked by a few people for this recipie, and I dont blame em! When I am on my death bed, and they ask what I want for my last meal.....this is it!

Rouladen is nothing new, a german dish, with many different twists, but this is how my family has made them for generations. Usualy kept for a Chritmas meal, and the like (special occassions), if you batch them, they freeze well, and are some yummy comfort food on short order!

First of all, the ingredients:

1. Rouladen meat: any type will do, but most butchers know what to cut for you (I am using buffalo here)
    2. baccon
    3. pickles
    4. dijon mustard
    5. onions
    6. salt/pepper
    7. maggi (liquid seasoning avaliable at most deli's or safeway)
    8. flour
    9. olive oil
    10. toothpicks

Start with your rouladen meat layed flat on your work surface, spread a nice layer of dijon mustard on them, then lay out your baccon slices 1/4 pickle slices and some sliced onions. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper, with a splash of maggi on each.

They should look like this-

Next, roll them up and pick them with as many toothpicks as you will need to hold them through the cooking proccess

A little salt and peper in some flour, and you can then bathe them in the flour for browning

I like to use a little bit of baccon in my olive oil to help creat some bad ass drippings for the gravy, but brown them up in olive oil until golden brown

Last edited by SHACK; 07-07-2009 at 09:08 AM.
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

2. Site Sponsor

Re: ROULADEN!!! recipie and step by step pics!!

Now that they have been browned off, take them out of the pan and put them in a casserole dish, or slow cooker (Im using a slow cooker here for ease)

Now that you have browned off the lot of them, do some magic and create a tasy gravy from the drippings in the pan. I use some red wine, and previously made elk broth so I have a LARGE amount of gravy (enough to almost cover the rouladen in the dish for cooking!)

Of course, cover the rouladen with you gravy and let cook for 2-3 hours in the slow cooker, or about 1 1/2 hours covered in the oven at 375 until they are "fork tender"

For a side dish I like to go traditional, so I am using pottato dumplings and Redd Cabbage. You can find the dumplings at most deli's, and the red cabbage is avaliable at most stores

Warm the red cabbage, and follow the directions on the dumplings (mix with water, wait 10 minutes, form and boil)

Last edited by SHACK; 07-07-2009 at 09:09 AM.
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow

Re: ROULADEN!!! recipie and step by step pics!!

Then before you know it, you will have a belly busting meal of awsome proportions like this

ENJOY!!! You wont be dissapointed!!!
    Last edited by SHACK; 07-07-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Re: ROULADIN!!! recipie and step by step pics!!

Nice !! Well done!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I only eat kosher so I wonder if a similar effect can be had with turkey or beef bacon? (For sure there is less drippings from the turkey.)

Why do you cook it so long when the meat is so thin in the first place?
    WSSoBC Monarch Gold
    WSF Summit
    Grand Slam #1810
    GOABC Life
    SCI Life
    WSF CA Life
    WSF MT Life
    RMGA Life

When we got our side of beef back from the butcher last fall he had cut rouladin for me instead of "with the grain" thin slices for jerky like I had asked. Now I feel the urge to make some! I may cut up a moose roast too and do it all at the same time to freeze.
    Thanks for sharing
    Its not the size that matters, its the fun you have while doing it. (HUNTING)

You cook for quite a while so the meat will cut with your fork, and seccondly, you generally are using cheaper cuts of meat in the first place, outside rounds, inside rounds etc. these take a while due to the lack of marbling. Its all about getting it tender for me, you can cook it for far less time, but then you will be chewing and cutting with a knife
    Im sure that turkey baccon will do, as you said, without all the drippings, but I have never tried it, nor would I. Simply because I think EVERYTHING is better with baccon!

That looks like a tasty combo. I will give that a try for sure. Thanks for sharing.
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

You're missing paprika. This recipe needs a lot of paprika. On the meat, after the mustard, which should be dry powdered mustard!! And the flour thing is sinful. North Americans b@stardize everything!!

Hey, your barking up the wrong tree PGK, Ich kann spreche sehr gutes Deutsch, und meine Familie ist von Nuremberg.
    Everyone has thier own twist on things, this is ours, your welcome to post up your Rouladin recipie, and I will give it a shot as well!