Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ranch

Mystery Ranch

I've had a pretty good week, so I finally pulled the trigger this morning on the Mystery Ranch NICE Frame along with the 6500 bag in Multi-Cam pattern.

$690.00 USD including shipping... I am eagerly awaiting for this package to arrive!

Reading through old threads on here I see several others who've purchased the same pack.

Gatehouse, DevilBear, Bruin, SSSSter... to name a few.

Now that you've used this pack combo a while what are your impressions now that the initial sting of the $$$ has worn off...?

Still Happy With It...?

Carl

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mystery Ranch

Definatly expensive. Same feeling when I bought the Barny pack but won't look back.

Saw the Mystery in Kamloops and its a nice looking bag. Smaller shoulder straps than the barney though.
    Last edited by BCrams; 06-05-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Definatly expensive. Same feeling when I bought the Barny pack but won't look back. Saw the Mystery in Kamloops and its a nice looking bag.
    Barney should be sponsoring you... Going through all the previous threads and correspondance you are a die-hard Barney fan. And what I found with the big 3 I was considering (Kifaru,MR,Barney) it was incredibly hard to find anybody saying anything bad about their packs. Any one of them seemed to me like it would be money well spent and the pack would be enjoyed for years to come.

The weight issue came up for me, and then after thinking about it I think it's a really silly decision to base your pack purchase on.

Yeah the MR and the Barney weight a little more then your average pack, but they can carry more too. And it's pretty easy to compensate by just losing the weight off your own body

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    Barney should be sponsoring you... Going through all the previous threads and correspondance you are a die-hard Barney fan. And what I found with the big 3 I was considering (Kifaru,MR,Barney) it was incredibly hard to find anybody saying anything bad about their packs. Any one of them seemed to me like it would be money well spent and the pack would be enjoyed for years to come.

The weight issue came up for me, and then after thinking about it I think it's a really silly decision to base your pack purchase on.

Yeah the MR and the Barney weight a little more then your average pack, but they can carry more too. And it's pretty easy to compensate by just losing the weight off your own body

Carl
    I agree..... Mystery, Barney and Kifaru are probably the top 3 brands on the market. I don't think there's a bad thing to say about them. Once you're at that level, its a matter of personal preference / wants.

I know a lot of fellows (hbc guys and non hbc ppl) who have bought the barney after seeing mine and so far they are all happy with them and then their friends buy it as well!

I was initially leary with the weight at first but its virtually bomb proof which more than makes up for it.
    Last edited by BCrams; 06-05-2009 at 01:14 PM.

I just ordered a Mystery Ranch pack last week as well. I was trying to stick to a tighter budget which is tough to do with a high end pack. I ended up ordering a Scorpius (CBMR)...I was pretty pumped when I asked about getting a black one even though it wasn't listed online and they told me they had a black one left and it was still on sale from their recent "Paint it black" sale so I ended up getting it for $150(US) less than I was expecting to pay!! I'd say it was worth the phone call!! I'm just waiting for it to arrive now!!

My friends have Kifaru packs and love them. I put one on last year and that was one of the factors that led to this upgrade in pack. I have heard of Barney packs and tried to check them out, but with no website (?) and no idea where to ever find them, I threw that idea out. I googled barney packs and all I got was some little kids packs with a big purple dinosaur on it. That might still be an upgrade from my current pack, but I couldn't do it!

I bought the MR Kodiak internal....very happy

Like you guys said, a guy can't go wrong with the big three.

I like the fact the MR is only a phone call away for ANY questions a guy might have.

They might be a tad bit heavy,but they make up for it in durability. I laugh when guys complain about an extra pound or two for the pack....and carry a whole bunch of heavy,cheap sh!t gear up the mountain!
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Im just running the crewcab at the moment , going to add a 6500 bag sometime in the future. Currently have one fliptop , zipper beltpocket and toplid on order , these are great packs and well worth the dollars imho.

I bought my wife a cerabus when the sale was on and they gave me a load sling for free so I was pretty happy than two weeks go by no pack than three weeks and I get a call from Kenji at MR asking me if I had received my pack my answer was no. His response sorry we had a screw up and your pack was never shipped can we do anything to make up for it. So I ask him any chance of a deal on a crew cab bag to go with the nice frame I already had bought second hand on HBC. His response I have shop demo model with no markings how about $49 as way of an apology for our screw up.
    Told him next time I was in Bozeman I would bring the beer. Thats customer service.

I'm jealous!

I've been looking at my poor old Wilderness Wanderer.... needs some work .....want to up grade to a Barney or a MR but it's not going to happen this year. Do I spend a "little" money and get a new hipbelt and shoulder straps..or should I just tough it out one more year?? Will definitely get new zippers sewn into the pockets(garbage!).
    Will keep it for a spare or have it for when my kids get old enough.

I'm sure you will not regret your decision, Carl!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by ThinAir View Post
    They might be a tad bit heavy,but they make up for it in durability. I laugh when guys complain about an extra pound or two for the pack....and carry a whole bunch of heavy,cheap sh!t gear up the mountain!
    Yabut . . . maybe these guys are onto something! You and I pack all our gear back down the mountain along with the kill while these guys can leave the goods under a rock and just pack the meat/cape. I suppose this can get a little costly after a while.

Now that I've test run the Kifaru for a couple of years I think it's time to try out one of those MR packs that some of you have.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC