Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting Canada's exotic game

Re: Hunting Canada's exotic game

If only I could find some seeds for that tree.........

how about several money plants????

how about those fallow deer. Do they Qualify as a Canadian exotic
    Hunt with your eyes...save your legs for draggin....

Muskox hunts will run you from 3500 to 5000...depending on who you go with. Getting there is another matter.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

I was wondering the same thing thing a while back (in regards to Polar bear acctually). Anyhow I did some digging and found out that like in BC, you have to have a "guide" with you when you are out of province. Now it does not need to be crazy expensive if you can get someone who knows a guide to "hook you up" You don't need to pay that much if you opt for a no frills package. i.e. you get there (YT or NWT) yourself not as part of the package, you get a guide who can take you out get you a nice critter, etc. in a short amount of time thus he is not spending time in the tundra with just one client, etc. Also I know that there are group hunts too, one or two guides for a group of up to six people, also makes things cheaper. Make some phone calls do a google search on guides up there in the north and contact them. You might be pleasently surprised.

Also check out these websites:

The licenses and tags are by no means expensive (it is the guiding part you need to hustle with)

Yukon hunting regs:
    http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.c...g/hunting.html

NWT hunting regs:
    http://www.nwtwildlife.rwed.gov.nt.c...ng/default.htm

(edited to add this link for a picture of muskox hunting area... I'll agree it's remote)
    http://www.nwtwildlife.rwed.gov.nt.c...s/pgmuskox.gif

Don't ever give up on something you want to do, try harder

Cheers,

Alex

p.s. I'd be up for a group hunt on any of those crazy northern critters.
    Last edited by olek_Z_bc; 12-21-2005 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huntersdad
    how about those fallow deer. Do they Qualify as a Canadian exotic
    I was thinking the same. I know they are on the island but what i dont know is are there any restrictions, where to hunt them and is it even worth my time.
    ttyal
    Riley
    There is room for all gods creatures........ right next to the mashed potatoes
    its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by olek_Z_bc
    I was wondering the same thing thing a while back (in regards to Polar bear acctually). Anyhow I did some digging and found out that like in BC, you have to have a "guide" with you when you are out of province. Now it does not need to be crazy expensive if you can get someone who knows a guide to "hook you up" You don't need to pay that much if you opt for a no frills package. i.e. you get there (YT or NWT) yourself not as part of the package, you get a guide who can take you out get you a nice critter, etc. in a short amount of time thus he is not spending time in the tundra with just one client, etc. Also I know that there are group hunts too, one or two guides for a group of up to six people, also makes things cheaper. Make some phone calls do a google search on guides up there in the north and contact them. You might be pleasently surprised.

Also check out these websites:

The licenses and tags are by no means expensive (it is the guiding part you need to hustle with)

Yukon hunting regs:
    http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.c...g/hunting.html

NWT hunting regs:
    http://www.nwtwildlife.rwed.gov.nt.c...ng/default.htm

(edited to add this link for a picture of muskox hunting area... I'll agree it's remote)
    http://www.nwtwildlife.rwed.gov.nt.c...s/pgmuskox.gif

Don't ever give up on something you want to do, try harder

Cheers,

Alex

p.s. I'd be up for a group hunt on any of those crazy northern critters.
    I would be curious about success ratios on these hunts.

I lived in the arctic a while back and all the bear hunting I know of happened on the pack ice. You and I are not heading out on the pack ice, it is not a friendly place.

Now the adventure would be fantastic, but I wouldn't plan on much success.

It all depends on the amount of permits. Ig the outfitter only gets 10 permits a year and he sells them for 5000 each and does every year. he wont cut anyone a deal for a no frills hunt when he gets full price each time.

If the outfitter has left over tags every year you may get him to drop you off somewhere and that may be it.

BHB

PGKris Guest

I saw a show where a guy shot a Muskox with his bow! Now that would be some kind of hunting! Probably cost me my last kidney though....damn kidney thieves!

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob
    It all depends on the amount of permits. Ig the outfitter only gets 10 permits a year and he sells them for 5000 each and does every year. he wont cut anyone a deal for a no frills hunt when he gets full price each time.

If the outfitter has left over tags every year you may get him to drop you off somewhere and that may be it.

BHB
    Not sure about the western Arctic, but in the eastern Arctic (where most of the polar bear are) so many tags are issued per village. Then they may have a local draw and to make a buck they the owner of the tag often guides an american.

No great loss to the inuit, american shoots bear, takes some steaks home, takes the coat and they get $20k in return. Eventually the tag gets filled, it just may not be the inuk hunter who shoots it.

So I can't see many/any left over tags for a bear. A hide alone can be worth over $10k.