Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do?

Re: What would you do?

Put yourself in a CO's shoes. What would he / she do?
    Personally, report any and all violations.
    We are all subject to the same laws and to let something "slide" or do "nothing" is not only irresponsible, but down right dissappointing to think that any "ethical hunter" would allow such practice.
    If you would turn a blind eye to a violation, what else would you ignore?????????
    416 - as a senior member, I can't believe you would take such a stand. I teach my children to uphold the law and respect the people who enforce it. I hope that I never run into you and I think you are a perfect example of what is wrong in our society. Take a stand for what is right and wrong and live by it!!!!
    Last edited by Driftwood; 11-22-2005 at 06:39 PM.

Report it !!!! we have a bad enough reputation that anything we can do to improve it will help. Use Kirby's example.
    416--- do you know how big the north is ???? do nothing ???? I can't believe a fellow hunter would say that.
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Interesting replies. I'll try and answer The original question in it's context.

If I was out and seen someone breaking a regulation.

1) Using electronic call for ducks (illegal btw): I would take as much info that would be required for the CO and then probably confront them and enquire if they know the regs regarding it's use and how they are breaking the law. Their answer would determine if the call went throught to the CO. And I'd do it right there in front of them. After I ask them to smile for the camera of course.

2) Not being far away from the road: This ones a little more minor and I'd try and politely inform the (probably unaware) hunter(s). Again an ignorant reply would only make matters worse for them.

When venturing afield, whether it be big game, small game or birds, as a hunter it is YOUR RESPONSIBLITY to try and educate the uninformed, report violators/poachers and make every effort to conduct yourself in a ethical manner. Especially when the public might have access to viewing your endevours.

416 ... your post surprises me, as it has others. I'll assume you're posting such out of frustration from IYO a lack of sufficient enforcement. Acceptable, but if we all turn a blind eye, our hunting heritage is the one that suffers.

Ddog... I find your story regarding the poacher/court case disheartening. But we must stay diligent.

my 2 bits.

l am not one, and don't make any pretenses of being such, or try to anticipate what he/she would do. I am not trained, are you?

We are all subject to the same laws
    Would these be "same laws" that were applied recently to Trudeau's ex-wife?

416 - as a senior member, I can't believe you would take such a stand. I teach my children to uphold the law and respect the people who enforce it.
    Which part can't you believe...l am a senior member or l don't have the same mind set as you? Congrats on teaching your children what you think is right.....we all try and do the best with the tools we have to work with, but l am having a hard time connecting your child rearing habits with my personal opinion. Do you also teach them the right to free speech?

I hope that I never run into you and I think you are a perfect example of what is wrong in our society.
    I could say the same thing about you, but l won't, l try not to pass judgement on my fellow man......it has a way of coming back to bite you in the ass!!

Freshtracks........your right! l am frustrated with the way things are
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

If your "personal opinion" is to turn a blind eye to a violation of any law, which is the general point you are trying to make, than I as well as others are going to take offence to it.
    You keep saying it is not up to you to "pass judgement on your fellow man", but this isn't Sunday school.
    We all have the OBLIGATION to uphold the law and further more to ensure that law breakers do not get away with such things. It is the actions of these few that give all hunters a bad name and gives more power to the anti hunting groups and tree huggers that are continuously lobying our politicians to take away our legal rights and freedom to live the life style we choose. (Ontario spring bear hunts as a small example).

Freedom of speech is one thing, disregard for what is right is another!

Oh, and by the way, my children know this! My 7 year old read your comments and I quote "Why wouldn't he do something if someone else is doing something bad?" Perhaps you can learn something from this.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood
    Personally, report any and all violations.
    We are all subject to the same laws and to let something "slide" or do "nothing" is not only irresponsible, but down right dissappointing to think that any "ethical hunter" would allow such practice.
    If you would turn a blind eye to a violation, what else would you ignore?????????
    416 - as a senior member, I can't believe you would take such a stand. I teach my children to uphold the law and respect the people who enforce it. I hope that I never run into you and I think you are a perfect example of what is wrong in our society. Take a stand for what is right and wrong and live by it!!!!
    I understand where you are coming from and basically agree with you, but it seems that every one has their own "line they don't cross". People tend to feel strongly about some aspects of the law, but not others, and conversely others feel strongly about the opposite ones. I have a friend who is a commercial fisherman and loves to hunt. He would not even think about knowingly breaking a hunting law, but when fishing thinks it is his right to shoot every seal that he sees....this is illegal.
    My pet peeve (it drives me crazy because it causes accidents) is people who drift through stop signs, and I would say 9 out of 10 people do it, but I do not, not ever, and I'm not kidding. But....I do go over the speed limit (not excessive or anything, but nevertheless, I'm still over). I think you see my point. Having said that though, I do honestly strive for integrity in everything that I do, but I'm not perfect.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Hey 416

After having a night to cool down and sleep on it, I want to apologize for the harshness of a few of my comments. I don't take back anything I said regarding upholding the law and I will always stand up for what is right.
    I would like to meet you one day as healthy debate is good for the heart and soul.
    Driftwood.