Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

What you would do if you were out and noticed someone breaking a regulation; for example using electric calls for ducks or not being far enough away from a road etc... Should you say something to them or report them or not do anything at all?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What would you do?

I think it would depend on the regulation in question. If I saw a poacher, or anyone of that ilk (sound shooters, etc), you bet your butt I'd be on the cell phone reporting them in half a second. I'd take pictures, plates, even follow them to make sure they didn't get away, etc. I got no patience for that kind of nonsense.

But other stuff, like say for instance I saw some guy see a nice deer, jump out of the truck, and then after getting of the road he's legally maybe a couple meters too close to the road still when he takes his shot - I'd let that slide without calling it in probably (obviously, depending on the circumstances).

I guess you could summarize my thoughts by saying: blatant disregard for law or ethics I'd report immediately. The little accidental violations of the type that all of us have probably comitted at least once in our lives, I'd probably let slide.
    Last edited by brotherjack; 11-22-2005 at 09:46 AM.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

I am with BroJack on this. Using his example it would be different if the guy was shooting back towards the road as the whole reason for that rule is one of safety. Circumstances would dictate.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

I had the same thought Stix. Also I will not tolerate vandalism or thieving! Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Using electronic calls, I would report. The few yards to short, I'd likely let it go. Couple of weeks ago me and afriend were getting ready to head into a fir ridge that I know to hold some good bucks, as we started walking in, two quads drove right past us, ducked under the road closure sign and drove away. I stopped, walked back to my truck, took out my cell, and called the CO. Anything that I find they are openly breaking the law, I'll report, if I think the guy has made an honest mistake, ie a few yards short of being far enough off the road, I'd likely let it slide.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Its a hard call the law is the law so what do you let go. Our bc government has put the policeing on us. Is one law ok to break but another one is not. Where do you draw the line on what you let go.Just my thoughts.

l would do absolutely nothing.......l look to our federal/provincial gov't for guidence as to what is right and what is wrong!! ......
    That being said, l don't endorse or agree with folks who don't follow the rules, but far be it for me to pass judgement on my fellow man. I think we pay enough taxes that there should be enough money for educational programs to teach new hunters proper ethics and laws governing conduct in the bush, and enough bush cops to enforce the existing laws, without expecting the general public to turn each other in.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

If it's a safety issue, I usuaolly yell at them myself.

Many "procedural" violations I wouldn't bother to report. Liek too close to a road etc. Among other things, it's thier word against mine.

If someone is blatantly breaking the laws, or wasting animals, killing animals out of season, I'll report them.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by 416
    . I think we pay enough taxes that there should be enough money for educational programs to teach new hunters proper ethics and laws governing conduct in the bush, and enough bush cops to enforce the existing laws, without expecting the general public to turn each other in.
    And if you belive that, I have some ocean front property in Alberta I'll sell you realy cheap.

do you think it would make a difference if you reported them,i mean if you saw them and the CO didn't do you think they would get charged? i dunno tough call being in a road closure area and two guys drive on by is a real piss off, and i would report them to but if the CO doesnt see them it ends up your word against theirs..
    a few years back whilst i was sitting in my treestand i watched a doe and her two fawns walk under me(that i seen all year long) and walk into the field,i then watched this guy, who i know, sneek up on these deer and shoot the mother in the neck with a shotgun! long story short he wnet to get his vehicle or somthing and i climb down ran out picked up the doe and carry her into the bush, hid her with branches and sticks and stuff and called the CO. we recovered the deer but since he didnt see the guy it was my word against his. Remember i know this guy! It went to court and he got off!!! Even though i know him,witnessed it,recovered the animal he won the case.
    I would still report anything i saw that was illegal, i think it would still be worth it to see justice done to those who dont abide by the laws!