Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ethical bowhunting

Re: Ethical bowhunting

Sea Level---- If you remeber Merritt some of the extreme shots were shots that nobody would normally take and the category is an option not governed by guidelines for groups. Some shots were downright nasty. LOL
    MIKE
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

I have no problem with crossbows but i am starting to have a problem with you wineing about the way crossbows are treated brotherjack most clubs in sothern bc will welcome crossbows but we need crossbow shooters to work at shooting don`t wait for compound and recurve shooters to make your shoots possible for you.What i say to you bj is organize yourselfs cause no one is going to do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sealevel
    I have no problem with crossbows but i am starting to have a problem with you wineing about the way crossbows are treated brotherjack
    Well, you said that my views were 'crap', and simply I explained to you why, as far as I can see, they are very valid. If you consider that whining, then I suppose you're entitled to your opinion.
    Last edited by brotherjack; 11-20-2005 at 10:28 PM.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

PGKris Guest

I didn't read any of the middle posts but here's some tips for first timers/rookies:
    1) Get a rangefinder. Period. None of this guessing bullcrap. That's great on the 3D course but if you want to be ethical, KNOW your distance.
    2) Practice all summer. And in august before the season starts, practice in your camo and all your hunting gear. Practice like you would hunt.
    3) Know your limits. If you don't want to shoot over 40 meters, DON'T! I had a big mulie standing broadside to me at 50 meters, bang on distance I sighted in at. My farthest shot. And let me tell you, that was a LOOONG way. I didn't take it. I just didn't feel comfortable with shooting that far, even though I had practiced it. I think my absolute max shot for a deer would be 40m and for a moose 50m.
    4) Don't let other people pressure you into taking trophies/long shots or trying things you don't think you can do. Just shoot at what you KNOW you can hit. Things go wrong, yes. But you can do your damndest to make sure they don't.
    KRIS

(PS: Get a rangefinder!!!!)

PGKRIS--- You and I feel the same way as far as what distance we would shoot at. good to know . I have often thought about a moose at 60 but don't know what I would do if the opportunity ever arose. MIKE
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

PGKris Guest

I tell you man, that deer was some kind of small at 50m!! I can hit them 8's and 10's all day on the practice course but actually looking at the bugger in the field was something entirely different. The whole aspect of "Oh my God, what happens if I screw it up" starts rolling around in your head. Too many "if's" at that kind of distance. I would shoot a moose at 50 without more than a minute's hesitation because the kill zone is so huge. But with a deer......not until I get more under my belt. Be a long while till I feel that confident.
    KRIS