Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethical bowhunting

Smile Ethical bowhunting

I have read and posted a few times on the Xbow debate forum. Alot of people have varying opinions, and we are all entitled to that. Xbow hunters shooting animals at 75 yds, compound shooters at 80 yards, traditional shooters not being able to hit anything are all horror stories by someone. In my mind the big question is how to keep novice bowhunters, no matter what they shoot, from making bad shots and wounding game. Granted bowhunting is a blood sport and mistakes happen, to everyone. I think we all agree bowhunting is much more difficult than hunting with a rifle and shooting your bow 2 weeks before season opens just doesn't cut it. My question is what do we do to make sure hunters know what they are doing when they enter the bush with a Xbow, compound or traditional gear, when to shoot and when not to shoot, and that we are all as proficient with our weapon as possible?
    Lets try and solve this question with positive input rather than mindless bashing of choices of hunting gear.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ethical bowhunting

Know your limits, your gears limits, and where a shot has to be made. Before I ever took a shot at an animal I was drilled on where to shoot, when to, when not to, I trained myself to constantly look at every animal I saw, and picture where I would shoot it, and if it was a good shot. Basic understanding on biology, and respect for game, and yourself are the keys to trainning new hunters.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

How long did you have a bow and practise(learn how to bowhunt) before you actually went afield with your bow? Who did you learn from? Just curious.

onesock you can`t legaslate common cense i think the best way is just posting on forums like this telling people getting them to practace shooting but most of all judgeing distance and reading game all that comes with expereance .

Personally, I've been shooting bows since i was 8, started hunting grouse with my Micro Midas when I was 12, started deer hunting when I was 14, had my limit at 20 yards. I took my first animal with a bow at 16.

When I was 10 we built an second range at my house(this one an indoor range) so I would shoot 100+ arrows a day year round, when I was 14, I was averaging 200+ a day. At 16 I was on par with most adults at all comps that I went to.

Kirby

Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Thumbs up Re: Ethical bowhunting

Sealevel: you are right you can't legislate common sense. How do new guys learn what they have to learn before going hunting? Experience and time are required, as you say, but nowadays we have come to expect instant things and alot of bowhunters expect the same.

When a new hunter hits the field, one can't expect much more than buck fever. No matter how much you read, shoot, etc nothing can truly compair to hunting. When somebody asks me for advice, I say, listen, learn, and understand. I can't expect a newbie hunter to perform the same as an experienced hunter, and wouldn't want someone to expect it of me when i was starting.

I missed one part, who I learnt from, was pretty much everybody who hunted, I read everthing I could get my hands on, my dad wasn't into hunting much, so I learnt from my neighbours, and books, I've been spending time in the field since I can remember.

Kirby

Now this is a good thread, people have to to be taught, and alot of them give up, because they do not under stand distances, i practice with my bow as much as i can, this year i didn't even take it out, you have to educate new hunters help them out like the old timers helped us out.we all started out green and the old timers helped us , i agree one sock you are going the right way, some day all we will have is bow hunting, and we need people like you to help us out . keep up the good work. Mark

I love 3d shooting and it helps alot on judgeing distance but thats were the good ends. To make the shot harder we turn the critters at odd angles that you shoud never shoot at. So my thoughs are 3d can be good or bad depending on the way you think.

The short answer is, of course, education! In any given situation, not just hunting, the vast majority of people will do the right thing - IF they know what the right thing is...

So we know what we need to do (educate) - so let's brainstorm a little on that tangent:

I think a full page primer on bowhunting in the Synopsis - every year - would be a great idea. A paragraph or so for each of the various finer points (maximum ranges, shot placement, shots to avoid at all costs, tracking tips, tips for estimating distances, etc, etc) would be the kind of thing that any of your honest/well meaning types of hunters, especially those who are taking up bowhunting for the first time (our main target audience) would likely take a minute to read. Keep it short, sweet, and simple, but hit all the key points - especially the ethical points.

Another thought, as much as I really hate the idea of giving the government yet another form of control over us, I really think that some kind of course on bowhunting should be required. Something sort of like the Firearm's course, or the C.O.R.E., with the option for anyone who already knew their stuff able to challenge the test. We don't let people run around in the bush with rifles until they've shown some competence with the weapon, why should bows/crossbows be any different? As much hassle as it would be, it's pretty much the only way we can gurantee that EVERY guy in the bush with a bow has been told at least once in their life, that 80 yard shots are a horrible idea, as are quartering-to shots, etc.

Something that is already being done by at least Horton, and I presume other crossbow/bow makers, is the little instructional video that comes with every bow they sell. It goes over all the basics from target shooting to hunting - with emphasis on hunting. Again, it's something that well-meaning people will take a few minutes to digest. Any bow makers who are not including at least a pamphlet or something on bowhunting, could be encouraged to do so by us as a bowhunting community.

Also, as has been mentioned, virtually ALL of the new/green bowhunters are going to make mistakes. Everything from buck feever to inexperience is going against them the first time they let an arrow fly at an animal - no mater how hard they've studied and practiced and worked to be ready for that moment.
    Let's as a community, try not to tear them down for those mistakes, but rather encourage them to learn and grow and do better. Every bowhunter that keeps trying, even after a failure or three, will someday grow up to be guys like those of you who have been doing this for many years now...

Anyway, gotta run - maybe some more ideas later...
    Last edited by brotherjack; 11-19-2005 at 07:23 PM.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32