Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New duck blind

New duck blind

Is there really any offseason for waterfowlers? Just a few months where you cant shoot anything, but still thinking the whole time about the fall.

After building and then expanding our duck blind over 2 or 3 years in the offseason, my brother decided we needed a bigger and better one. Becuase a 4-5 man just wasnt enough room I guess.

So he tore down the old one which we just hammered posts in then build around so it stood around 7 feet tall with a roof. Now the new ones gonna be 2 feet in the ground and only 4.5 feet about the ground so it should help conceal it easiler with the grass around it.

Probably gonna put a little stove, or generator in there aswell, lots of room for anything we decide.

Still to be added:

- plywood roof
    - dog door and bench to sit higher up
    - chicken wire around the outside to hold grass
    - some gun holders and shelves for stuff
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New duck blind

Crazy Farmer,
    That is not a duck blind it's a condominium
    Had a yard sale at our house today, many flocks of migrating Specks
    and Lesser Canada's going over. It was really hard to concentrate on
    setting up for our sale. God I wish we could pound those Specks ln the October season!! How about you guys on the mainland seen many
    migrating geese yet??
    Cheers Field Marshal.

All the canadas and lessers are long gone, only a small number of geese are pairing up now in the sloughs and theres a pair at our duck pond that looks like they've made a nest on a hill in our field.

Hopefully it'll work out without coyotes getting to them. I may have to thin the yote population here to let the goslings survive.

I hear you on the specks, hopefully their population keeping rising and merits a season or atleast be included in the dark goose limit with canadas. Have a 5 dark goose bag limit with 1 or 2 limit of specks under that 5.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Maybe the corrugated fiberglass would make a better roofing?

Looks good, how ya gonna keep it from filling up with water? K

Yeah probably, I think we have some in the shop somewhere kicking around maybe not enough though. Probably better long term, the plywood would soak up the water and rot overtime, but we do staple or hook grass to the top aswell so we'd have to figure something up for the fiberglass. Also once we put grass onto its like another layer of insulation it keeps the plywood drier.

I'm still thinking about options for putting a pit blind in one of the corn fields. We've thought about it, would be way better for concealment but we've been a bit worried about someone else driving a tractor over it, I think I'll figure something else this season. Maybe dig a couple holes and put big single man drums in the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Looks good, how ya gonna keep it from filling up with water? K
    Well we were going to put a few layers of plastic down but have realized if the water level goes above it then the water will sit inside. The spot it'll be in already has quite a high level. It floods the old blind anyways, so we're used to wearing waders in there. just dont drop the gun in the water.
    Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 04-18-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Hey Crazy Farmer, that looks really neat! Oh, and when you're doing the interior, paint the drywall nice bright inviting colours... and go with the fluorescent lighting.

Longshot jr.

dont forget a raised deck for the pooch if its gonna fill with water your freind would apreciate a dry roost for his down time

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Still to be added:

- plywood roof
    - dog door and bench to sit higher up
    - chicken wire around the outside to hold grass
    - some gun holders and shelves for stuff
    Yep, a cold wet retriever is never a good thing. Just gotta shoot more ducks to keep him busy and warm.

An update.

Got the back and side walls on, Turned out we have a bunch of old fiberglass boards from our old barn and they're already weathers and yellow/green so it'll be great for camoing. Alot lighter then plywood, and wont rot in a few years of being in the ground wet. Be a good roof too and wind protection.

And ground work for the foundation have begun.